First Keg Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinhaak

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to kegging my first beer this weekend. Been reading this post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-time-kegging-any-last-minute-tips-348039/index3.html

and found it quite helpful.

Got a rookie question, though: When I'm through drinking for the day, am I correct in assuming that I leave the CO2 tank on? I don't turn it off, correct?

As others have said, I'm finding it a bit daunting to keg this first beer. I've got a Nostalgia Electronics kegerator that's all in pieces and their instructions are weak. I'm assuming I'll figure it out soon enough, but it's been a while since I've felt this uncertain about a brewing procedure!

Yep, just leave it on your preferred PSI. I usually go somewhere between 8-12 PSI. Don't over tighten the regulator on the cylinder. I cranked it down with a wrench and cracked the plastic washer and lost all of my CO2. I hand tighten and ensure no leaking. If its not tight enough, I give it a slight tightening with my wrench.

And one more question: I was planning on drinking my first pint some time next week, but I leave town on the 7th of October for a week. If I tap the keg on the 2nd or 3rd, drink it for a few days, and then let it sit a week, am I damaging the beer? Am I better off waiting until I get back?

A long as there are no leaks on the gas or liquid side, you will have no problems leaving the beer sit. As long as you leave the co2 connected.

Depending on your carbonation method, your beer might not be carbed for a week or two.

Aside from that, you can leave it for as long as you would leave a bottle of beer in your fridge. I've had kegs on tap for several months at a time.

I was going to use Beer-Lord's method:

Set it to 30 for 24 hours, then 20 for 48 hours then 10 for another 24 hours. Then set to target PSI and drink.

I was going to use Beer-Lord's method:

Set it to 30 for 24 hours, then 20 for 48 hours then 10 for another 24 hours. Then set to target PSI and drink.

No need to get so complicated.

If the beer is room temp when you put it into the chiller and hook up the gas, 30-36 hours at 30PSI then taste test.

If the beer is already chilled, the time range will be 24-30 hours, then taste test.

(Chilled liquids absorb CO2 much more readily than warm liquids.) :mug:

No need to get so complicated.

If the beer is room temp when you put it into the chiller and hook up the gas, 30-36 hours at 30PSI then taste test.

If the beer is already chilled, the time range will be 24-30 hours, then taste test.

(Chilled liquids absorb CO2 much more readily than warm liquids.) :mug:

Presumably before I drink it, I need to lower the target PSI to my drinking range, correct? Do I purge the keg before that? Or do I only purge early on to avoid oxidation?

Yes, purge the keg, lower to serving psi and drink. It's just that simple. BierMuncher is just about spot on with what I do (I did follow his posts when I started kegging). 30PSI for about 36 hours on a ferm temp keg just going into the fridge. Drop the pressure, purge and drink. :mug:

Yep, just leave it on your preferred PSI. I usually go somewhere between 8-12 PSI. Don't over tighten the regulator on the cylinder. I cranked it down with a wrench and cracked the plastic washer and lost all of my CO2. I hand tighten and ensure no leaking. If its not tight enough, I give it a slight tightening with my wrench.

Replace plastic disc with an o-ring better seal no leaks.

Well, after several misadventures, the beer is finally kegged. First I discovered that my kegerator was designed for a different style keg; three trips to homebrew shops and Lowes later, and it's finally done.

I have grave misgivings about the sanitation, though. I'm kinda worried it's not cleaned properly. Well, I'll find out Tuesday...

I am sure it will be fine. Personally i do the set it and forget it method of carbing. Set it at 11 psi and wait 10 days and it is typically ready to drink with the correct amount of carbonation. I just dont bother fiddling with the regulator.

Back