Secondary Fermentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warped04

I am Wally
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm sure this question has been answered many times, and I'm a newb for even asking it...I did a quick search, but honestly, I was going to place my order for the ingredients tomorrow, and was being a little lazy to read through all of the threads to find my answer.

I read about many fruit secondary fermentations, and I stubled across an OUD BRUIN VRUCHT Recipe from Classic Beer Styles Series Belgian Ale by Pierre Rajotte.

In racking the beer from the primary to the secondary with fruit (6 - 10 pounds of Sour Cherries or Raspberries), I'm guessing that a 5 gallon secondary is going to be too small...Correct?

Simple enough question :p. Lastly, would a teritary fermentor be recommended here? And if anyone has an familiarity with this style, what yeast would you recommend...The book refers to lambic, but It just doesn't sound like a lambic. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

I don't do fruit beers but do make mead where I ferment the honey portion first and then rack onto fruit for a "second" fermentation. When I do that I use buckets as it is much easier to get the fruit in and out of a bucket then a carboy. After the second fermentation with fruit is done I rack to a carboy for clearing.

Back