New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers for that, agree temp control is a must sort out !! Esp before the summer months ! My favourite drop is a hoppy pills so after a few ale kits I thought it was best to get on the horse so to speak... Props to help so far from others..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Awesome! I love pills to. And Vienna larger! To ADD with my beer to take up the fermenting fridge for a month or two with a larger though! May have to plan one to be largering while I am away on holiday etc.

Well let us know how it turns out!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Lol yeah, I enjoy geeking out with stuff like that. The last ones i did were for the stanly cup finals. Milk and normal photo copy paper work wonders bro!

View attachment 211841

Awesome that was going to be a question !! Have access to an awesome printer, what is the best method for sticking them on ?

You can either use milk or a glue stick. I found milk didn't hold so well when wet.

Ok cool, does it come off easy when soaked again ? Also is their a better paper than standard you can use if wanted ?

Yeah it comes off with a short rinse.
I was using some nice but expensive parchment from warehouse stationary but now I just use regular printer paper.

Woohoo, Chainbreaker white IPA ingredients just showed up this morning.

Well I brewed my cone hopped iipa yesterday, the cone hops absorb so much, my efficiency went down from mid 70s to 66% so I ended up with 17L rather than 19, and that was after putting the boil hops in my grain bag and squeezing as much liquid out as possible. Got my OG of 1.100 though so not too bad but I'm going to lose even more with the dry hops. Smells good though

Two things...

Just moved down to Marton. Great place!

Also popped in to europmalt and was very kindly give 25kg of 2 row pilsner malt as a welcome gift.

I hear we hold an annual brew competition here in march. Any take part?

Yep that's three things...

Two things...

Also popped in to europmalt and was very kindly give 25kg of 2 row pilsner malt as a welcome gift.

Where the hell is marton?

Two things...

Hmmm, not sure if that's good or not :p

Nice score!!!!

I had no idea we had a comp in town.....

On a side note....cheers to @Donmega for coming over today and spinning some yarns over a brew and a brew day.

Is there a walk in shop too?

I found out today the M27 Belgian yeast for my white IPA likes being at 27 degrees. The good news is once I turbo charge the ferment chamber the shed will be nice and toasty.

Is there a walk in shop too?

I found out today the M27 Belgian yeast for my white IPA likes being at 27 degrees. The good news is once I turbo charge the ferment chamber the shed will be nice and toasty.

Yeah an online shop just for now. The plan is once business picks up, it'll become a store.

Yeah, Belgian yeast is weird and likes being hot.
The Southern Star I did last year was fermented at 25. The version I did this year was fermented at 28 :drunk:

Hello everyone. Been looking for a NZ thread on here! figured it was about time I said hi.

Ive been a big fan of this site for a while and love reading about what everyone is brewing.

Ive been brewing for about 3 years now in Grey Lynn in Auckland. Moved to all grain brewing about 3 months ago and have had a blast with it.

I brew mainly APA's and IPA's with almost exclusively nz hops. Love it!

I have buit my own mash tun, dual keg fridge, and a ferm chamber controlled by a BrewPi.

Anyway just wanted to say hi but also i am very keen on nailing down a "house beer" similar to my fav beer "pernicious weed" by garage project down in wellington. has anyone tried to clone this? I'm getting fairly close using motueka, green bullet, rakau and nelson sauvin hops. any thoughts from the group?

On a side note....cheers to @Donmega for coming over today and spinning some yarns over a brew and a brew day.

Thanks for inviting me over !!! Looking forward to a tasting session !!

Its dropped the massive hop hit it did have :p

Easy recipe for you to do if you wanted to ;)

Hmmm !!! Maybe lol... I was actually thinking of doing an extract brew, natural progression from kits... My question is, I have just bought a dual temp controller so don't want to fork out more $$ on gear this month, I hAve a 20 litre aluminium pot from mums old restaurant, still in good knick considering the age... Would this be ok for a extract brew ??

Hmmm !!! Maybe lol... I was actually thinking of doing an extract brew, natural progression from kits... My question is, I have just bought a dual temp controller so don't want to fork out more $$ on gear this month, I hAve a 20 litre aluminium pot from mums old restaurant, still in good knick considering the age... Would this be ok for a extract brew ??

I'm going to say yes: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

You can still do all grain mini brews with 20L. I did 1kg of grain in a 8L pot for the first few months when I started brewing and would ferment it in a 3 to 5 L bottle. It was awesome to practise and easy to do on the stove (although don't do a 100% peated beer like yeastie boys Rex otherwise your house will smell like dank bacon for about 3 days) a 20L pot you could easy do 10L all grain recipes all you need is the grain bag and a thermometer (I think)

I generally do just under 10l batches in a 12l pot, fermenting in 10l buckets from the same shop as above. I have brewed a 19l batch in the same put but lower OG helps. I sometimes have to split the wort as my stove is a little underpowered to boil 12l.

Need a gas setup and fermentation fridge but that's the next thing.

Ok cool, does it come off easy when soaked again ? Also is their a better paper than standard you can use if wanted ?

Yeah man,

I'm a photographer by trade, so have access to all sorts of supper nice papers and adhesives etc.

I have gone back to the standard laser printer paper. The photo grade papers are mostly really thick, and make it hard to keep the paper on the bottle while the adhesive is wet.

I tryed spray glue. . . Easy to put on. . . Expensive and a pain to get off.

Milk+flour was supper easy to get off. A hour in a bucket of oxyclean and they all fall off. But it is hard to keep e lables on the bottle while its wet.

Glue stick seems to be about inbetween the two.

So i either roll with milk and rubber bands to keep e labels on while wet. Or the glue stick.

Yeah man,

I'm a photographer by trade, so have access to all sorts of supper nice papers and adhesives etc.

I have gone back to the standard laser printer paper. The photo grade papers are mostly really thick, and make it hard to keep the paper on the bottle while the adhesive is wet.

I tryed spray glue. . . Easy to put on. . . Expensive and a pain to get off.

Milk+flour was supper easy to get off. A hour in a bucket of oxyclean and they all fall off. But it is hard to keep e lables on the bottle while its wet.

Glue stick seems to be about inbetween the two.

So i either roll with milk and rubber bands to keep e labels on while wet. Or the glue stick.

Awesome thanks heaps... Will go with the glue stick to start with (sounds easier)

Hi Guys

Does anyone have a simple extract IPA recipe ? Or a pilsner ? Lots if hop flavour the better...

Hi Guys

Does anyone have a simple extract IPA recipe ? Or a pilsner ? Lots if hop flavour the better...

Have a look in the recipe DB on here, there are heaps of them :)
I'll have a look later through all my stuff and see if I have anything

Here's a simple one I recently made.

2 tubs of light malt extract
Boiled in 10 litres of water

1 oz of fuggles at 60
1 oz zythos 30
1 oz East Kent Golding at 5

Dry hopped at day 7 with 1.5 oz of EKG

Bottled after 3 weeks

Drank after four and was perfect at week 5

Here's a simple one I recently made.

2 tubs of light malt extract
Boiled in 10 litres of water

1 oz of fuggles at 60
1 oz zythos 30
1 oz East Kent Golding at 5

Dry hopped at day 7 with 1.5 oz of EKG

Bottled after 3 weeks

Drank after four and was perfect at week 5

Awesome cheers for that :)

So just setup my dual thermostat, turns out my fridge was way to cold... few tweaks of the settings and now sitting pretty...should save a few bucks on the power bill now !!

Popped my all grain cherry with an epic pale ale clone. Easy beer to brew and tastes awesome.
I say go for it!

Cheers, with the setup I have I figure this partial kit is a good option !! Ps what were those hopes you gave me ? Sampled the Pilsner I have been lagering and it tastes 100 x better than last one :) the hops has defo helped among other things !!

I thought I had posted but can't see it on my phone. If you are wanting it to be an epic clone make sure they provide US cascade.

To the Palmerston North crew!!

Where can you get a decent craft brew in town? The village in is closed for a while. . . . And I don't think I can stomach another tui, Heineken, stein larger etc etc!

Back