American Light Lager Mexican Lager (Cerveza)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOP31

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WPL940 (Mexi Lager)
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days 52 Deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
6 days 62Deg
Additional Fermentation
Lower temp 5 Deg/day till 32 Deg Lager for 6 weeks
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.07 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 3.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs 12.8 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 39.0 %
7 lbs 12.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 39.0 %
4 lbs 6.4 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 22.0 %
2.10 oz Liberty [4.30%] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
1.20 oz Liberty [4.30%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)Hops -
2 Pkgs Mexican Lager (White Labs #WLP940) (I actually used a 1/2 gallon starter that I stepped up from 1 vial)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 20.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 7.60 gal of water at 159.3 F 140.0 F 45 min
Step Bring temp up to 152.0 F 152.0 F 60 min

Primary fermentation: 7 days at 52 degrees
Diacetyl rest: 6 days at 62 degrees
Secondary/Lagering: bring temp down 5deg/day until 32 degrees is reached and lager for 6 weeks.

How did this turn out?

I have a beer frig that I can lager in ... thinking about brewing up one like this.

it 's is a great summer time beer. Depending on your tastes you may vary the about of flaked corn to adjust the sweetness,. the last time that i did one up I think that the corn came through a little too much. It is way different then what you will find in the stores (corona), but much better. Has a maltyness through out it with vary little hop character, with a crisp clean finish. I have only done this one twice so i don't really have the recipe nailed down yet.

Thanks for bumping this, reminds me i need to get one going for the summer.

Two summers gone...bump bump.

You got a Corona clone?
Never mind, watched the UFC tonight. I had my triple hopped Hobgoblin mistake (2 pints) and then drank two Coronas at neighbors house... I do not wish to drink Corona any more! My triple hopped mistake was so much better.

I did it the way I was talking about just waited 90 min on the mash. Worked great nice dry crisp beer
What temp did you mash at? How was your efficiency? The only reason we use 6-row in this country is because of the high adjunct levels in mass produced beer. In Europe, they feed the stuff to horses. Did you lager it? It seems a bit quick of a turn around from when you asked the question. I'm glad it turned out good for you. I am working on an imperial Mexican lager recipe, that's why I saw your ?, and would love to skip the 6-row due to the high protein levels.

I brewed 10 gallons of this a couple months ago using the recipe as shown above to the "t". It is an awesome light Mexican lager. My wife even loves it and she usually doesn't like my homebrews. I can see what you mean about the corn coming through a little too much, I like it but it may also be good subbing out 1-2 lb of corn for some more 2 row. I will definitely be making this brew again.

I doughed in at 122f rested there for 30 min. Then rested at 148f for 45min and mash out at 180. I fermented to with a 4 liter starter of wpl940 for 2 weeks. Direst at 65f for 2 days then down to 30f for 6 weeks. My posts are 13 months apart

A year plus since this post was bumped, but it's just what I was looking for! I have a tube of WLP940 in my yeast fridge just waiting to make a cerveza. (I don't like Corona.) I'm thinking of lightly toasting, then cooking some polenta as the corn for a 30% corn recipe. Also noticed you used Liberty hops. Is liberty the best hops to use for Mexican style lagers, and what other hops would work well? :)

Brewed this beer about 7 weeks ago and just kegged it today. Unfortunately I miscalculated my efficiency bigtime with my new equipment and my OG came in at 1.061. FG is 1.010. The sample I tried today was a bit harsh. Probably because of the high ABV. Hopefully it mellows a bit with time and after it is carbed, otherwise this batch might just be a wash.

I may brew this thing but am a bit worried about the sweetness mentioned in the posts above. I think I'll just reduce the corn a bit. Also instead of using the mexican lager yeast, was just going to use kolsch.

Just finished brewing this one, getting it ready for hot weather boat and lawnmower beer. Just pitched the yeast, thanks for the recipe, I think it's going to turn out great.

So I just want to report back on this beer and say that this is by far one of the best lagers I have ever made. Awesome recipe that I forsee being on tap a lot this summer.

A year plus since this post was bumped, but it's just what I was looking for! I have a tube of WLP940 in my yeast fridge just waiting to make a cerveza. (I don't like Corona.) I'm thinking of lightly toasting, then cooking some polenta as the corn for a 30% corn recipe. Also noticed you used Liberty hops. Is liberty the best hops to use for Mexican style lagers, and what other hops would work well? :)
nugget or hallertau show up in a lot of recipes.

Back