Are Hop spiders safe ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was just reading the newest BYO magazine tonight and came across the hop spider build. I am in the hvac / Plumbing buisness and the first thing that came to mind is that pvc + hot wort splashing onto into + steam = leached chemicals not to mention that carraige bolts are not that safe either as they contain lead and are coated with zinc. this is a smal article about pvc and temeratures from answer bag :

Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipes leach chemicals into drinking water, especially at high temperatures. During their production, additives ranging from hormone-disrupting phthalates and bisphenol A to toxic lead and organotin are added to PVC piping. When hot water is used in PVC pipes, there is more of a chance of chemical leaching into the water the pipes carry.

I'm usually the first one to throw around the RDWHAHB but for some reason this build in BYO doesnt seem right to me. Am I looking to deep into this ? The reason I ask is I kinda want to build this but not if it's going to leach sh** into my beer. I guess the compromise would be using CPVC w/ stainless carriage bolts.

What about cPVC? Isn't that what is safe to use for plumbing?
yes cpvc is safe for plumbing down south due to salinity issues thats all they use as copper would pit and corrode. that would be my compromise on the BYO build. I am just very suprised that BYO would put PVC in as a build if it was not safe.

yes cpvc is safe for plumbing down south due to salinity issues thats all they use as copper would pit and corrode. that would be my compromise on the BYO build. I am just very suprised that BYO would put PVC in as a build if it was not safe.

I have a hops spider, but I'm sure I used cPVC.

someone just made one out of SS, think he used a sink part of sometype

Back