Do i need to clean/sanitize Gas line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpbergie

Reaction score
I am setting up my kegging system for the first time. The gas line is new, so is the CO2 tank and the ball lock connector. Do I need to somehow clean/sterilize any of these parts or is it ok to connect the hoses to the regulator and connect to my corny? I guess same question for the beer line as well.

cpbergie said:
I guess same question for the beer line as well.

At a minimum, I would rinse the hose out with warm water then a few drops of san solution. I know not much will have a chance to grow...(Alcohol, co2, refrigeration) But that will take out the chance of industrial cleaners... *shrug* I've always washed and sanatized EVERYTHING that touches my beer no matter WHAT stage.

I did mine, but it was mostly because they were sitting for a while and I was doing the serving lines as well. Probably not necessary, but I figured; why not?

Pulling a CO2 line off the 3-way manifold (they are clamped with the kind you have to cut off), would be a total PITA.

I just spray some Star-San in the CO2 coupling whenever I'm installing a new keg. What's going to live inside the gas line unless beer somehow gets in there?

Back