First Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drama

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am completely new to homebrewing, but excited to get started.

I am looking at purchasing the basic starter kit from Northern Brewer.com

I am going to start with plastic and opt out of buying a second fermenter.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? I appreciate it!

Also, I am not opposed to spending money on a brew kettle. The 8 gal MegaPot with ball valve and thermometer looks like a good investment for ~$200 with the 2 upgrades.

Thanks again,

Zach

That kit looks pretty good.

I currently have just a 8 gal aluminum pot from a restaurant supplier (forget which one) that was a good price. The better investment to start with would be an immersion chiller. You can always put any thermometer in the boil, and a 5 gal batch is small enough that you can just pour or use the auto siphon in the kit.

That kit looks pretty good.

I currently have just a 8 gal aluminum pot from a restaurant supplier (forget which one) that was a good price. The better investment to start with would be an immersion chiller. You can always put any thermometer in the boil, and a 5 gal batch is small enough that you can just pour or use the auto siphon in the kit.

Cool, I'll save some money on the kettle then. I can always install my own pour spout.

I opted for the deluxe kit, and I'm delighted with it. It had everything that I needed to start and did the first 2 brews that way. I have since done 3 more and have added many more items. The best investment IMO was getting equipment to make yeast starters.

You will very soon want another fermenting vessel!!!!

I will probably buy a turkey fryer too. I hear that makes the process a hulluva lot easier

Drama said:
I will probably buy a turkey fryer too. I hear that makes the process a hulluva lot easier

That's what I just bought. 34qt fryer for $30 on craigslist... can't beat it. Doing my first brew tmrw and can't wait to use it

Back