cocoa nibs in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
All of my extra fermenters are tied up at the moment. Is there any reason not to just chuck some cocoa nibs into my primary after a day or two of it fermenting. The plan is to let the whole beer sit in the primary for about a month and then bottle. However, I really want to add some cocoa nibs and have no extra fermenter to use as a secondary. My made my stout last night and it's in a 6.5 gal fermenter, can I just open this up tomorrow and throw some nibs in? Or would that amount of time be way to long to sit on the nibs?

If I were you I would probably wait until the primary fermentation is done and the beer has cleared a bit. If you have never used nibs before, becareful how much you use and for how long, it's not hard to give your beer a lot of bitter chocolate flavor.

I realize this is an old thread, but I am curious what you did and your results. I plan on brewing a chocolate/oatmeal stout soon. I have been shifting away from using secondaries lately and am considering adding the nibs to primary at about the 12 to 14 day mark. Any further opinions on this?

I realize this is an old thread, but I am curious what you did and your results. I plan on brewing a chocolate/oatmeal stout soon. I have been shifting away from using secondaries lately and am considering adding the nibs to primary at about the 12 to 14 day mark. Any further opinions on this?

I ended up racking this beer to a secondary after 3 weeks in the primary, and let it sit on the nibs for about 4 days before kegging. The beer turned out great.

Back