Bulk Irish Moss: Coarse or Fine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsb

Reaction score
My LHBS is more Health Food Store than LHBS, so advice is limited. While I was in there today I decided to get some Irish Moss to put in inventory for later. I was faced with the choice of a coarse irish moss, or a fine powder style. Having no recent experience with Irish Moss, I made a selection based on logic. (my logic, and probably flawed). I choose to get the powder style and not the coarse stuff, thinking that the larger surface area offered by the powder would increase its ability to clarify? Did I choose right, or did I waste a buck sixty?

My LHBS is more Health Food Store than LHBS, so advice is limited. While I was in there today I decided to get some Irish Moss to put in inventory for later. I was faced with the choice of a coarse irish moss, or a fine powder style. Having no recent experience with Irish Moss, I made a selection based on logic. (my logic, and probably flawed). I choose to get the powder style and not the coarse stuff, thinking that the larger surface area offered by the powder would increase its ability to clarify? Did I choose right, or did I waste a buck sixty?

I dont think you wasted any money. I would however put some rice grains in a muslin bag in there so it doesnt clump together. I had some that was stored for a long time and it became a rock. Granted it was the finer stuff. I just use Whirlfloc now. No fuss or mess.

I have never seen the powder stuff. I've only seen the the course stuff that looks like crunched leaves. I like your theory, though, and the advice to help keep it from clumping. I'm sure it will work fine.

Try Irish Moss (coarse or fine) but when you finish it, get some whirlfloc and give that a try!

You'll never use Irish Moss again, IMHO!

This just in. When bottling my IPA that was clarified using the powdered Irish Moss, it was very clear. It may or may not be better than the lumpy/clumpy stuff, but is certainly it certainly did a good job.

i only use irish moss. it is really cheap and you can't over/under use it. i also have an Organic everything store that also has a decent selection of HB material. i buy bulk IM and sprinkle some in with every batch. i just like using it. haven't tried anything else and my beers are crystal clear. (except when i use carbtabs, don't use them)

Back