Brewhemoth conicals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For future reference the sensor I was talking about is pictured below.

cfrazier77 said would fit in a thermowell.

Just scored a used brewhemoth for 400 bucks :D it's not the triclover version but that's fine.

I'll put it in a stand up freezer, I guess I'll tape the temperature sensor to the side since it has no thermowell port.

At the bottom I was thinking of using triclover to npt but I don't really see the need to, it's not going to be sanitary.

Question, I plan on using a spunding valve, no blow off, if I ferment 15 gallons, will the kraussen go high enough to try and get out? What's the most you've fermented without needing a blow off tube?

Ignore this post, I posted something that was meant for another thread. I don't know how to delete it!

Ignore this post, I posted something that was meant for another thread. I don't know how to delete it!

For some insane reason I think you have to be a supporting member to delete your own posts. Maybe to pressure you in to shelling out cash. :tank:

Just scored a used brewhemoth for 400 bucks :D it's not the triclover version but that's fine.

I'll put it in a stand up freezer, I guess I'll tape the temperature sensor to the side since it has no thermowell port.

At the bottom I was thinking of using triclover to npt but I don't really see the need to, it's not going to be sanitary.

Question, I plan on using a spunding valve, no blow off, if I ferment 15 gallons, will the kraussen go high enough to try and get out? What's the most you've fermented without needing a blow off tube?
Where in San Diego did you find it?

I've brewed as much as 18gal in my Brewhemoth (German pils). Lagers aren't known for giant krausens though, that would be pushing it especially with a "heady" yeast like a Belgian or wheat. 15gal works easily though, never had an issue with blowoff through my spunding valve. I actually imagine the pressure would reduce the head somewhat. My reasoning is, when you let the pressure off the head increases, so I think the converse would apply as well.

I've brewed as much as 18gal in my Brewhemoth (German pils). Lagers aren't known for giant krausens though, that would be pushing it especially with a "heady" yeast like a Belgian or wheat. 15gal works easily though, never had an issue with blowoff through my spunding valve. I actually imagine the pressure would reduce the head somewhat. My reasoning is, when you let the pressure off the head increases, so I think the converse would apply as well.

The most I have ever had in mine was 20 gallons of cream ale, US-05 at 66 degrees. I did not have any blow off either.

The most I have ever had in mine was 20 gallons of cream ale, US-05 at 66 degrees. I did not have any blow off either.

Awesome! I just bought a spunding valve but I also bought a 90 degree 1" hose barb with 90 degree bend. I plan on using the blow off for the first few days and then switch to the spunding valve so I can carbonate at the same time the beer is fermenting. After it's done, transfer to a 15 gall sanke and the rest to a corny.

Sounds viable?

I've done 2 20 gallon batches of mead, of course no blow-off, we have received spunding valves that stuck, dismantling them showed that they had foam go thru them, this also ruins gauges, so be careful.

I've done 2 20 gallon batches of mead, of course no blow-off, we have received spunding valves that stuck, dismantling them showed that they had foam go thru them, this also ruins gauges, so be careful.

Yep, that's why ill use the blow off for the first 4 days I guess.

Now, this bh I have is not triclover,
I just disassembled the ball valve and it was nasty! Even more than that, it looks like oxidated metal. Do you recommend I use an npt to triclover adapter and then triclover valves? I'm guessing I'll still need to unscrew the adapter every time for cleaning.

image.jpg

The threads and their problem will still be there if you go to the extra expense of adding a triclover. I use the NPT version for the last 4 years (I got a 6-8 month head start on everyone else, it pays to get prototypes). I have never had an infection, used Brett C. a couple times. I soak mine in Oxyclean to clean them, then give them a 20 minute soak in Starsan by putting enough in the bottom to cover both valves (about a gallon) and shake, slosh it around 3-4 times in that 20 minutes to coat the inside with foam. When the next batch is clean, I'll have to pull my valves off and inspect, perhaps a valve change will be in order every once in a while, or a good soaking in line cleaner.

Hey guys, just a cross-post here. If anyone is looking for a second Brewhemoth or a CIP for your existing one in the Ohio area, it's time for me to part ways with mine.

For Sale

:mug:

Back