What to do with straight up grape juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
Guys,

I found a source for freshly squeezed, unpastuerized, un treated grape juice. Its from a portuguese store I know locally. The cost is insanly cheap. The old portuguese guy at the store just told me to put it in the carboy and let it ferment. When I mentioned sulfites, and gravity readings he looked at me like I had 2 heads. I am a beginer at home wine making so I need some direction. How to treat it, OG/FG readings, yeast types, etc.

Thanks

Dave

+1 Where are you?

Although not a big wine guy , I have done a few. Most likely sulphite... wait and then pitch your yeast of choice..

I would not follow the store keeper's advice. You might make a wine like beverage but I think it's about 50/50 that you would end up with crap.

Jack Keller site has lots of good information on grape and fruit wines and we have our own database that should give you some guidelines. Hopefully one of our wine experts like Yooper or Summersolstice will jump in with some good advice.

The Winemaking Home Page

He is right!

There is, usually, more than one right way to do something.

The natural yeasts, from the skins of the grapes, are in the juice.

Simply leave the juice alone, at room temperature, and you will get wine...semi-(without the pulp in the primary)-Old World style!

Pogo

BTW - Where are you located?

Back