Is it possible to miss D-rest opportunity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlanginDueces

Reaction score
I usually raise my lagers to 68 degrees for a few days just before they reach final gravity. Then slowly lower down to lager temp. I have a Vienna lager that has been at 46 degrees for about 2 weeks and now I have to take a surprise work trip for 3 weeks. If I do the D-rest when I get back will that still get the job done or does it somehow become too late?

You'd be better off doing it before you leave. By the time you get back, the yeast will be pretty dormant. Common advice is to get 2/3 of the way from OG to FG the do the d-rest. You're probably there by now.

On the other hand, you could taste now to see if you even have diacetyl. No need for a d-rest if you have no diacetyl.

Problem is I leave tomorrow so I won't have a way to bring the temp back down once I leave

Some will disagree, but leaving a lager on the primary yeast cake at 68 for 3 weeks once it's (probably) mostly fermented is harmless.

But if there's still time, I'd strongly suggest tasting it. If there is no diacetyl, don't even bother with a d-rest.

Latest posts

Back