need help deciding on kegerator path

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosunbrew

Reaction score
I need some expert opinions!
I would like to start kegging my homebrew. The main reason is that bottling takes up too much time. I barely have enough time to brew as it is, with a busy job and being with my family. But I'd much rather be brewing rather than spending time bottling.
So... I've been searching and reading the various kegerator build threads, doing some homework.
I live in an apartment. I'm trying to decide between a "counter-height" compact fridge (about 5 cubic feet) and a small "apartment-size" fridge (around 10 cu. ft.). If I go with the 5 cu. ft. type, then I'd like to have a tower with two taps. If I go with the 10 cu. ft. size, I'll put two taps through the front door.
Any suggestions, as to which route I should go?
Also, are there any specific refrigerator models that you'd recommend, as I'm searching through craigslist?
What should I estimate the price to build a two-keg system? I'm guessing at around $400, given that I can find a refrigerator for around $100.
Any help is greatly appreciated. There are thousands of threads to search through, and I was getting a bit lost. I figured I'd throw out my own situation, and see if anyone has any advice. Cheers!

What should I estimate the price to build a two-keg system? I'm guessing at around $400, given that I can find a refrigerator for around $100.

$100 fridge
$120 2 tap stainless tower
$200 Dual body reg kit with plumbing and 2 kegs
$420

or replace the 2tap tower and dual body kit with THIS for the same price, but no 2nd reg

Mine was...
$210 new Magic Chef Chest Freezer
$60 Johnson Controls external thermostat
$200 dual regulator system with tank and picnic taps (incl 2 kegs)
$50 2 more kegs
$30 3way gas distributor
$30 QDs Cobra taps, and plumbing for 2 more kegs
$580
I keep the tank/regs on the hump, along with about a dozen chilled pint glasses.

I guess that all depends on the space requirements of your apartment. I'm an apartment dweller too. I chose a chest freezer with collar for kegerator- you can get basically any size that fits your needs - you can even do a tower on these too. And I'm choosing a 11cu ft frost free upright freezer for my conical fermenter - so I can crash cool down to below a fridge temp. You can drill thru the door on those, too.

I guess for you, it depends on if you want the freezer space.

I find many more upright freezers on craigslist than apartment fridges.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I should look into converting a chest freezer. I did find way more options on craigslist for freezers, rather than apartment fridges. OK, now I'm thinking in a completely different direction, but I think the freezer option could work. Time to start researching some freezer conversion threads. Thanks!

Back