Recipe Discussion : Helles from Brouwerij Boerderij Kabouter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, perfect brewday. Wort production was perfect; I hit all my numbers dead on. Hopefully I have a nice, standard fermentation and I can get a real gauge for where this recipe is.

Three hour mash really adds to brewday, but I love those big decos!!!

Brewing a Maibock now. :mug:

So far so good. The Helles had an 11 day krausen period. Started to fall and is now resting at 63º for a few days to finish up and clean any diacetyl etc.

I am getting ansy. I want to get this thing chilled down and lagering. Same with the Maibock. I am really curious to see how this yeast works out (Wyeast 2000 Budvar).

Let's hear it! I need to get going on a Maiboch, and a Helles sounds good also.

_

Well so far, I am very unhappy with this yeast. I am hoping that it just needs a rather extended lagering period... but we will see. It is very sweet tasting, and fruity with a weird tangy flavor. I am pretty bummed at this point. I think the color is good, but the yeast flavors are screwing everything up... I'll give it another taste in another month.

bummer, thanks for the report. hope it cleans up after some lagering. that sounds like a similar problem my latest helles has too.

Back