Clone Beer Dog Fish Head - Midas Touch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also be interested in a recipe for Dogfish Head's Birra Etrusca Bronze, which is also a member of the Ancient Ale series of beers. Does anyone have ideas where I might score the same info as was published for Midas Touch?

I brewed the BYO version of this, kinda. The batch was All Grain, the juice was muscadine juice and I did not use saffron. 2.5 gallon batch. OG 1077 FG 1010, not taking into account the muscadine juice, which was added about 32 hours after I noticed active fermentation. I have no idea what that did to the ABV, which calculates to be 8.8%. I bottled the batch today after about five weeks in the primary. Smells like wine. Tastes pretty good so far. I'll give it several weeks in the bottle. The Wyeast 3787 Trappist HG really comes through in the flavor profile. The honey seems to have fermented out, although there's a hint of it in there.

5 lb 2 row
5 g Willamette 60 min
5 g Willamette 15 min
3 tsp yeast nutrient 10 min
1/4 tablet Whirlfloc 5 min
1.5 lb honey at flameout

Primary
23 oz Muscadine juice added at the 32nd hour of fermentation.

Mashed at 154 for 60 minutes

Fermentation was crazy. Even though this was a 2.5 gallon batch, Krausen hit the 5 gallon mark in a 6 gallon Better bottle!

I entered this into an AHA sponsored event under the Belgian Specialty Ale category and took the gold with a 32.5 score. The judges said the bottles were gushers or the score would have been better. I haven't had that problem at home. Not sure what the deal was. I'm very happy to gave gotten gold, though. Also, it makes it better that they didn't just give awards for each category. You had to score well enough to get a medal. :mug:

I would use DME and take gravity readings before adding all of the malt. You should be able to get extremely close to your numbers by doing this if that is what you are going for...

I came across the book with this recipe in it written by the brewmaster at DFH today. I just wanted to point out that he calls for 1/4oz of hops, not 1/2oz like is stated in the op.

Just wanted to point out that I am extremely late to the party (maybe that doesn't need pointing out lol), but I ended up here after trying to search for the Midas Touch clone. After research, I read: the original discovery of the vessels showed that the beverage was a highly unusual mixture of grape wine, barley beer and honey mead. The bittering agent used in the original Beer was not hops (which was only introduced in to Europe around 700 A.D.), but the most expensive spice in the world, saffron. That's why you're adding the saffron. Midas tomb is in Turkey and Turkey was renowned for this spice in antiquity, and although they've never been able to actually prove it, the intense yellowish color of the ancient residues may have been due to saffron.

Let me start off by saying, this is NOT my recipe. This recipe came from a book that Sam Calagione wrote. He is the owner of Dog Fish Head Brewery. I believe this recipe was created by Bryan Selders, who is a brewer at DFH. I will write down the ingredients/directions exactly as they were written here. All credit goes to Sam Calagione and Bryan Selders. I just wanted to share the recipe with you fine folks.

This is a fun recipe and comes out with a very similar taste and drinkability to Midas Touch - very happy to have this in my barsenal. Batch, bottle and forget about it for a few months and you won’t regret the wait. I hate the time involved with bottling but if there was ever an ale that deserves the extra step it’s this one. Much thanks to all hands involved in the design and dissemination of this recipe 💪🏻💯

Back