crap... my scotch ale smells like banana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinirish

Reaction score
Hi, I saw other threads on this but it was not very complete at my taste.

Usually, the temperature in my basement stays between 65 and 69 F (18-20 C) but today the temperature raised to 74F (23C), and I know it's not good (well, for a SA I mean)
I made a starter for my Wyeast 1084 Irish ale since my scotch ale is 1.086 in gravity. It's been in primary for 4 days now and a few minutes ago I checked it, the krauzen has almost disappeared (but I could still see some bubbles and hear it crackling) and it had a strong smell of banana and bubblegum, candy-like. So I put my primary in a big bucket with tap water and some ice cubes (not too much, only 6 small ones). I'll probably blow some air with a fan later (after writting this post).

I was planning to let it 1 week in primary and 2 months in secondary with oak chips soaked in a 12 years single malt scotch then bottle it.

Should I let more time for primary? Secondary? Bottle conditionning?
Will the oak chips have an influence?
Will the esters just mellow or will it be digested like diacetyls?
I prefer these flavors in a weizen, not in a scotch ale!

It's my 10th brew and that's the first major problem I had to face since I started brewing.

Thanks!

Hi, I saw other threads on this but it was not very complete at my taste.

Usually, the temperature in my basement stays between 65 and 69 F (18-20 C) but today the temperature raised to 74F (23C), and I know it's not good (well, for a SA I mean)
I made a starter for my Wyeast 1084 Irish ale since my scotch ale is 1.086 in gravity. It's been in primary for 4 days now and a few minutes ago I checked it, the krauzen has almost disappeared (but I could still see some bubbles and hear it crackling) and it had a strong smell of banana and bubblegum, candy-like. So I put my primary in a big bucket with tap water and some ice cubes (not too much, only 6 small ones). I'll probably blow some air with a fan later (after writting this post).

I was planning to let it 1 week in primary and 2 months in secondary with oak chips soaked in a 12 years single malt scotch then bottle it.

Should I let more time for primary? Secondary? Bottle conditionning?
Will the oak chips have an influence?
Will the esters just mellow or will it be digested like diacetyls?
I prefer these flavors in a weizen, not in a scotch ale!

It's my 10th brew and that's the first major problem I had to face since I started brewing.

Thanks!

You need to let it primary until fermentation has stopped. If it is still bubbling, you need to let it be. Wait until it stops changing, use your hydrometer and take good samples. When it is done, then you can transfer it anywhere you'd like.

The esters are probably a fact of life at this point. They will probably fade a bit over the long term and on a beer that big, you could let it age a long time and see if any of it fades.

I wouldn't worry though. I'd continue on with the oak, and see if that helps it any.

OH! And careful with oak for that long. You'll end up having too much oak flavor and you will end up with too many esters AND too much oak.

thanks carnevoodoo!

by the way, I use 2.82oz (80g) of oak chips for 6 USG of beer and they have been soaking in scotch for almost a month now. Can this mellow the oak flavor?
And how long would do a better job (for a more subtile oak flavor in a dark, kettle caramelized ale)?

Back