Recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhifistereo

Reaction score
Since I'm a broke college kid AND my local brew shop only allows me 1 oz. of whole leaf hops at a time I figured I would branch out and ask for recipe suggestions.

Here are the supplies I have thus far:
1 can of Muntons Liquid Malt Extract-Wheat
1 can of John Bull Liquid Malt Extract-Light (hopped)
1 oz. Vangard whole leaf hops

Now I have a little cash left to purchase more malt (liquid or dry) and/or a small purchase of steeping grains (variety is not gigantic but fair). I figure I have about $10-15 left.

Any suggestions?

I'm a newbie so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but what I would do is get myself 3 pounds of wheat DME, 1 oz. of flavor and aroma hops (saaz or tettnanger maybe?), some dry ale yeast, and maybe 1/2 lb. of crystal malt at the LHBS. Use the vangards you've got as bittering hops, use that can of wheat LME, and make yourself a good summer wheat beer.

Go online to midwest supplies or northern brewer and order 2 oz. of hops and 1 lb. of crystal malt and a muslin bag.

1lb crystal steep at 155 for 30 min
Remove the grains, bring to boil.
1 oz vangard for 60 min
1 oz flavor hops from internet store for 15 min.
2 cans LME for 15 min.
1 oz aroma hops from internet store for 5 min.

Cool to around 80degrees, strain into primary and pitch your yeast.

You should have enough $$ left to get a sixxer of local micro to drink while you brew. There are still plenty of internet sources to find whatever hops you are looking for, so go shopping. I prefer the citrusy stuff, but the spicy euro. hops make some damn fine beer as well.

Remember that regardless of your choice of hops, with good sanitation you will make beer!!

Back