Harvesting Conan from old cans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlssox524

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just discovered 2 cans of Heady Topper that I picked up from the brewery in late December 2012. I forgot I had them and thus they have been sitting in my fridge for ~8 months. I've been reading up on harvesting Conan from Heady cans and I'm wondering if it's worth trying given how old these guys are--will the yeast still be viable? Are there any special considerations I should take given that the cans are old?

Thanks!

Yea, seriously, that's a crime. Anyway, I would definitely give it a shot. Do both cans at once, and start with 1.020 starter wort before stepping it up. Stir plate if you have it.

There is only one way to find out, try it out. I think you will be perfectly fine, mine take a little longer to get going but I think it will wake up.

Thanks for the advice! I've been making starters for a while but have never stepped one up. Any thoughts on a good schedule? How much wort would I start with at 1.020? Would I then jump up to 1.040 for the next step (or two)?

Back