How do you label you beer taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrpark22000

Reaction score
As with most people I started my kegerator with 1 tap handle, now that I have 6 taps and just as many corny kegs in the fridge :tank:, I am constantly answering the question, "What beers do you have on tap?"

Again like most people I did not leave enough room when mounting my first handles to allow for long tap handles so mounting labels on the handels is out of the question.

How do you label your beer taps??

How about a chalkboard somewhere close that you can section off into 6 areas? Then just mark it tap 1, tap 2....and so on. I would assume your using a chest freezer with that many kegs, so you could place the chalkboard on top?

They sell these clear plastic rectangles with a magnet on the back for holding 4x6" photos. You'd usually stick them on your fridge or your file cabinet at work. I make up pretty labels (or sometimes a sharpie on a index card in a pinch) and slide them in. I have one for each faucet.

I use tap handles with shields on them, and I print up labels on plain paper and stick them on with a glue stick. They come off easily under running water.
5923-taphandles.jpg

I have mine right next to the dartboard in the gameroom, so I just use the dart score board (white board) to keep track of em. When we play darts, I just set index cards on top of the chest freezer so everyone knows.

8240-100_0780.JPG

8240-100_0782.JPG

I made these out of some coffee table legs from Lowe's, a small block of wood, and some trim around it. I cut a small groove in the top piece of trim and a smaller groove in the side and bottom pieces. The new labels simply slide in the top. Here is a link to the same basic thing but they are kinda expensive. http://www.northernbrewer.com/tap-handles.html

edit: It cost me about $15 total for the parts and paint. That made me three handles. A chalk board with some magnets on the back of it is also a good solution.

I used some balusters from home depot, cut the nice round pieces I wanted, sanded them down and attached them to a flat pieces that I routered the edges and embedded a piece of metal to to stick on that printable magnetic paper to..

Little bit of stain and polyurethane to finish it off...

taps1.JPG

taps2.JPG

I have "window label holders" that are designed for filing cabinets. They are metal frames a little smaller than a business card and attach with double sided tape. The beer name slides into the frame. Got them at Staples.

I only have four taps installed on my keezer which holds 6 kegs. I haven't been drunk enough yet to forget which beers I have on tap. If I ever were, I don't think it'd matter. :drunk:

Someday soon I'll make cool handles with labels just for the aesthetics.

Thanks for all the input guys. When I posted the same topic on brewboards, someone gave me a pretty cool idea.

I have a cheap set of pool balls I will drill out and mount on the tap handles, then using marker board and the ball number list the beers on tap. I'll post some photo's in a couple weeks when I get it setup.

Happy brewing and keep those Idea's flowing, there are some pretty good setups.

Originally posted by Brewpastor
Brewtopia made these great magnetic labels for the NHBC in Denver much like Jer's idea. Very simple and effective.

Thanks BP!

I use magnetic photo paper as well.
tap labels 001.jpg

Then I store the magnetic labels on the fridge for furure use.
tap labels 004.jpg

jrpark22000 said:
So this is what I was able to come up with...

tap+handle+small.jpg

thanks for all the input, and happy brewing!!

That's a great idea - I just got a pool table and my Keezer is going to sit right next to it. I might have to steal - I mean, compliment you by imitating - it :D:rockin:

Jester369 said:
That's a great idea - I just got a pool table and my Keezer is going to sit right next to it. I might have to steal - I mean, compliment you by imitating - it :D:rockin:

Please do so, A gentleman on brewboard.com was the one who gave me the idea. It came out lookink alright and was pretty easy. I have cleaned the roughed edges and excess silicone from the base of the balls so it looks even better after the photo's were taken.

Back