Thinking about my second brew....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewkinger

Testing... testing...is this frigger on?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am preparing to brew my 2nd ever beer, with a very successfull NB Irish Red Ale under my belt.

Looking over my notes and judging my success on what I have read on the forum, the beer was VERY drinkable. Concerns that I have as I prepare for the next beer are minimal, but nonetheless I am thinking about them.

First, the overall clarity of the Red Ale in the bottle is something that I am wondering can be made better??
Should this type of beer be clear enough to see through in the glass?

Having looked over the forums and read Palmer, the only thing that I can think of that I am going to definitely do with the next brew is to pour more cautiously from the boil into the primary. I got a little anxious with the first brew and dumped the whole thing into primary.
Would the addition of the "breaks" contributed to the lack of clarity?
I was extra cautious racking from primary to secondary and then to bottles, with little to no trub moved, so this is the only place for me to begin thinking about this as a possible cause.

Other than that, I noticed a distinct difference from bottle to bottle with the taste. Not a single beer tasted "bad", but temperature of the beer seemed to be the root cause. Especially if I drank the beer from a chilled glass or from a room temp glass.
Am I imagining this, or is it real??

I think this is enough for now.

Thanks for your help in advance.

For clarity, the use of a fining agent like Irish Moss during your boil couldn't hurt if you aren't using it already. I know there is some debate about using it with extract brewing (assuming that is what you're doing), but it's so cheap why not give it a try?

Cold crashing overnight before you bottle helps as does the use of gelatin (the cheap, plain stuff found in the baking section of your local grocery).

There are a bunch of different ways to clear up your beer, from keg conditioning to the use of filters, so it's worth doing some research around the net to figure out what will work best for you.

Back