First Batch is in to Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBergan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wish me Luck my first ever brew is in to ferment. I know it is just a Mr. Beer easy kit, but guess you have to start somewhere.

I am making a batch of the classic American Blonde Ale.

Put it up at about 10 PM Eastern time. It should be ready to drink (including some Conditioning time) around the first week of October.

Perfect for a private mini Octoberfest of my own to celebrate.
Hope the timing is a good omen.

Good deal! Take a look at it in about 20 hours. The look of a fermenting beer at its peak is my favorite part.

I am a little worried about being able to control the temp and keep it within range... I have the ferment tank in a cooler with a couple of frozen water bottles... I was able to get the cooler chilled down to good range before I did the brew... but once I put the tank in, it seems that it doesn't want to chill well... I am hoping that is just due to the fairly warm liquid of the brew and that it will come down enough to stay within range.

If I put a towel over the tank is it safe to let the frozen water bottles rest on top of it? or will that put areas of "to cold" temp close to the brew? maybe the towel will insulate enought to not cause issue?

I haven't seen any reply to the towel/cooloing question...

But it seems to be a bit un-needed now, the temp is staying in the range of 68-70 very easily now...

What is the best way, with a Mr. Beer kit, to really know when the ferment is done? Is there any problem if the brew stays in the ferment tank an extra couple days, beyond that point?

Additional Question(s) I thought of

I guess I will be bottling this first batch sometime this week; I am really tempted to start a new batch almost right away in order to keep things cycling, since it takes multiple weeks for the process overall.

Any thoughts on whether I should go ahead and start batch 2, or wait until after I have actually gotten the first batch through the conditioning and chill phases?

I went to my local brew supply shop and got some advice and direction on ways to improve on the Mr. Beer basic ingredients, (Thanks to Brett at Brew Your Own Bottle, in Haddon TWP, NJ); The next planned batch will be the 'Whispering Wheat' refill from Mr. Beer, but I have "new" yeast and a better Bavarian wheat DME to replace the 'booster' from the kit... He also hooked me up with a good priming sugar to use instead of regular table sugar (this will also be used on the first batch, so I guess I am not going STRICTLY by the kit direction and contents.

I already have plans to go get at least 1, and maybe 2, glass carboys. It is very apparent that this 'hobby' (see habit, obsession, or addiction) is going to expand very quickly, well beyond the basic kit that is Mr. Beer.

I have had the first brew in Bottle Conditioning for just over a week. I think tomorrow I will move half of the batch (four bottles) to the refridgerator for chilling.

I will let the other four Liters condition for another week or so.

This should let me see how much difference there is in waiting the extra time.

Ok,if anyone checks the dates you will see that I got a wee bit impatient with this, my FIRST, brew.

It fermented for just over a week until it seemed to have hit a finish.

I racked it over into the 1 Liter bottles for conditioning phase and am eight days in.

Yesterday I took two of the eight bottles and moved them to the fridge for chilling; tonight I cracked the first bottle and poured myself the first ever beer that I brewed on my own.

As I sit here I am drinking glass number two, and am pleased overall with the result.

I plan to let the remaining bottles sit for a few extra days... placing 1-2 in the fridge every two or 3 days and letting them chill for a couple days. This will let me see the improvement that comes with the longer conditioning time.

I am already prepping for the next brew cycle...YAY BEER

This is what my First batch looks like poured.
Slightly cloudy and the head only holds for maybe 30 seconds; but it tastes pretty decent and I think I have to call it a success.

First Batch 11.jpg

Back