fermentation temp too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody34

Reaction score
I'm using the dry yeast that came with my extract kit. It primaried (not a real word ) around 62F and 64 at times in my basement. Now it's in the secondary at 60F and 62 at times. Is 60 too low? Even if 60F is acceptable, does it need to ferment longer due to the Low temp? Thanks.

60F room temp is just about right for an ale although 58 would be better. 62-64 room temp is getting a bit warm. Fermenting temps can be 5deg or more than room temp. Also secondary temps aren't as important as primary.

Even if it does take longer you should judge completeness by a hydrometer, not an airlock or a calendar. I agree with barrog, though, better to be too cool than too warm.

60F room temp is just about right for an ale although 58 would be better. 62-64 room temp is getting a bit warm. Fermenting temps can be 5deg or more than room temp. Also secondary temps aren't as important as primary.

Barrog ferments on the cold side in my opinion. If you can monitor the temp of the wort, that's best rather than guessing based on ambient. I keep my fermentatons between 66 and 70 for ales (wort temp). I don't know at what temp fusel production starts but it's higher than that.

Fermenting an ale in the 50s is asking for a slow/stuck fermentation as the yeast flocculate and go dormant before finishing the job. Chris White of White Labs recommends you raise the temp 4-10 degrees after the first 72 hours to encourage full attenuation. Most of the flavor compounds are already made at that point so the increased doesn't cause off flavors.

Back