another simple e build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wncbrewer

Reaction score
I have been contemplating going all electric for a while, kal's rig and site, while totally awesome, is more than I need or can afford. So, I am considering making the transition a little at a time. I am currently brewing on a single tier propane rig with two kettles and a 10 gallon igloo tun with a false bottom. I would like to start by converting my hlt first and make a HERMS system out of it. Kal has an rtd on both his tun and hlt. Is this really necessary? My thought was to have only one on the hlt and one pid to control the element that fires the hlt. I would like for my contol panel to be large enough to add components as I get the money. Initially, I will continue to fire the boil kettle with gas. I would also like to be able to control both pumps from the panel. I have an electrician buddy who is willing to work for homebrew, so I'm not concerned about wiring or killing myself. My question is: can someone possibly provide a wiring diagram for a panel that will do what I'm after (one element, one pid, one rtd, one light to indicate when the element is firing, and a main power switch) I also plan on putting a gfci in somewhere though I haven't quite decided where yet. Thanks and im open to all advice even if it's "you're out of your league"...cheers wnc

Thanks a lot, that answers tons of questions and I'm not sure how I missed that thread before.

P-J said:
You are more than welcome. If I can help or if you need changes to the diagrams for your plan, please let me know.

I appreciate the offer p-j, I have gathered from the thread you referred me to that you are quite experienced with electrical work. This will be a slow build, as I cant afford to do everything I want all at once. In the meantime I will continue to brew on my current setup. I am fairly comfortable with everything except the wiring, and have a good electrician to help me with that, assuming he has good diagrams to follow. Im sure you guys will be seeing a lot more of me on the electric forum...cheers...wnc

Back