Aging in the heat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIMARIPA

Reaction score
All of my meads will be long out of primary and will likely be done fermenting by the time summer rolls around, but I am not sure what I should do with them at that point. I live in a 3rd floor apartment in Philadelphia, it will be getting pretty hot over the summer, and I have no access to my basement. I will be able to keep my brew room in the 80's during the day but wont be able to run the ac full bore all day. So my options are:
Bulk age in my apartment.
Bottle and either keep in my apartment or try to get a friend to let me use his basement which will be marginally cooler. And/or put as much as I can fit into my fridge for the summer.

I guess it's pretty ridiculous to be worrying about this now, but with the weather turning it is on my mind. What do you think I should do?

If you have traditional meads they will survive intact at 80F for extended periods. Delicate fruit melomels probably won't do so well and will have more-rapid deterioration and oxidation; at least that has been my experience.

Medsen

I bit the bullet and purchased a 7.2 cu ft chest freezer that I will convert to a refrigerator to age my more delicate meads. Although I will rarely want to move everything out of it I can always use if for cold crashing as well.

Back