What are theese yellow chunks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jroiv

Reaction score
Hi, im new i just brewed my first batch of amber ale and transferred it to a secondarry fermenter and i i have not really had any problems/concerns untill i noticed theese yellow chunks floating around the top of my fermenter. is this normal? or shoudl i be worried that im harboring some contaminant in there. any thing helps

Hi, im new i just brewed my first batch of amber ale and transferred it to a secondarry fermenter and i i have not really had any problems/concerns untill i noticed theese yellow chunks floating around the top of my fermenter. is this normal? or shoudl i be worried that im harboring some contaminant in there. any thing helps

Most likely they are chunks of yeast floating at the surface from stirring up the batch. Did you transfer over a noticeable amount of sediment when moving to the secondary?

Pictures would probably help a lot. Are they REALLY yellow or kind of yellowish? Are they REALLY "chunks" or just stuff floating on top. It is pretty common for stuff to be floating on top of fermenting beer, in fact odd for it not to be. How long in primary? Was it done fermenting?

I have done wild beers that I aged for a year before bottling and all kinds of crap was growing on top and they came out great (sour, but great). Just before you are ready to bottle taste a sample if if it doesn't taste bad it will probably come out fine. Just remember the sample will be flat so it may not taste the same to you as what you may be used to but you just don't want to taste anything really bad. Remember too the sample will be green, not aged, so it will improve. Regardless of what it is it probably won't even make you sick so don't worry too much about that. Keep the sample small if you are worried.

Back