Propane burners and tank service

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I am looking to get a propane burner, probably the 10qt bayou burner. I was wondering how many of you have your tank serviced locally or go with Blue Rhino?

I try to stay away from the tank swap (Ble Rhino, etc.) because they're usually only 15lbs of propane. I can get a 20lb refill for a couple dollars less.

I try to stay away from the tank swap (Ble Rhino, etc.) because they're usually only 15lbs of propane. I can get a 20lb refill for a couple dollars less.

+1...I just recently started doing this and was amazed at how much longer my tank lasted. Plus it's quite a bit cheaper...

Thanks. Oh, how long does a tank last on an average 5 gallon brew?

With my 22.5kBTU Bayou Classic I would say it lasts a good 4-5 brews. I hardly ever turn it up over half way and a rolling boil is when the valve is almost closed.

Where do you get one refilled? I usually do the exchange thingy, and have two sitting out waiting to go...

Do they fill Blue Rhino tanks, or do you need a Uhaul one?

My local one charges $3.97 per gallon... how many pounds of propane in 1 gallon?

I'm not sure how much Blue Rhino charges for a tank exchange, but the last time I had an almost empty 20lbs cylinder refilled at a propane supply place, it was around $9.00 .

I'd vote x2 for buy your own cylinder and have a propane supply place fill it.

Do they fill Blue Rhino tanks, or do you need a Uhaul one?

My local one charges $3.97 per gallon... how many pounds of propane in 1 gallon?

You do not need a "Uhaul tank". They will fill any modern one.

A typical 20 lb tank holds about 4.73 gallons, so that comes out to about 4.23 lbs/gallon.

It might pay to check Uhaul's website for propane prices before going. The two stores closest to me have significantly different prices (one is 50% higher than the other).

Also, any gas station with a big propane tank outside can refill it. I tried calling around, but Uhaul was still the cheapest.

The local independent gas station right up the street from me will fill my tank. Best part is they actually set it on a scale and figure out how much the tank needs. They only charge for the actual amount of propane you need, rather than a flat fill fee like the other place in town.

I go to a local hardware store. They also fill it by weight, not by volume. A full 20lbs is around $15, while an exchange around here is usually $19.

In Memphis, go to U-Haul on Summer Ave near Interstate. They fill my Blue Rhino tanks all the time. 4 gallons, or 20# is $17 plus tax.

I have a blue rhino tank that I refill at my locak BJs. They add whatever is needed. If my tank is half empty I only pay for half a tank of gas. Keep in mind that the tanks need to be reinspected every 10 years. If my tank gets to that point, its time to go to the Blue Rhino display for a new one :) You can also go to a hardware store and purchase a new (empty) tank.

I just found out Costco refills propane tanks for 9.99! (the 20lb ones) i was paying 17-18$ on the swap at home depot. Costco also sells empty tanks for about 28$ if im not mistaken.

I called Costco and they said they don't know of any in Illinois that swap or fill LP :(. I mostly fill at U-haul and when the tanks start looking rusty I wap em for new ones.

When I had my 3-tier rig, I got tired of 20 pounders. I ran a hose to the back of the garage & hooked it to a 100# tank and kept a 20 in reserve. The company delivers a full tank and takes away the empty. I don't remember the charge, but it was WAY cheaper & more convenient than messing with the 20 pounders. I used propane to heat all of my water for cleaning the rig & a dozen Cornies, so not all of the fuel was just for brewing, because I only had a cold water supply out to the garage.

I heard that if you do the exchange you may not get a full tank and that it's based on the current price of propane. I took my blue rhino (or similar exchange program tank) to a local propane distributor (Kamps Propane) and had it filled for about half the price of an exchange. While the tech was filling my tank he told me that all exchange tanks should be full when you purchase them. Either way, I'm getting the refills rather than the exchanges from now on.

I heard that if you do the exchange you may not get a full tank and that it's based on the current price of propane. I took my blue rhino (or similar exchange program tank) to a local propane distributor (Kamps Propane) and had it filled for about half the price of an exchange. While the tech was filling my tank he told me that all exchange tanks should be full when you purchase them. Either way, I'm getting the refills rather than the exchanges from now on.

I did a blue rhino exchange ONCE. Ther was a little letter attached to the tank that notified me of a class action lawsuit against Blue Rhino alleging that the tanks were being put in the display less than completely full. Blue Rhino denied all wrong doing, bla bla bla. Now I have my tank filled at BJs. They fill by the pount, so I pay for only what I receive.

william_shakes_beer said:
I did a blue rhino exchange ONCE. Ther was a little letter attached to the tank that notified me of a class action lawsuit against Blue Rhino alleging that the tanks were being put in the display less than completely full. Blue Rhino denied all wrong doing, bla bla bla. Now I have my tank filled at BJs. They fill by the pount, so I pay for only what I receive.

The blue rhino exchange at my local Lowes has a big sign that says they only fill 15lbs in the tanks for exchange. I was in a pinch over the weekend and my local gas company was closed. Almost $20 for 15lbs of propane. I get 20lbs for $12.50 at my gas place.

The blue rhino exchange at my local Lowes has a big sign that says they only fill 15lbs in the tanks for exchange. I was in a pinch over the weekend and my local gas company was closed. Almost $20 for 15lbs of propane. I get 20lbs for $12.50 at my gas place.

Was going into the local Fleet/Farm-type store yesterday and noticed the same thing. Don't recall if it was B R tank service or not, but the sign on the tank cage said "Net Weight 15lbs". for $17, or something like that. Last time I had my 20s filled I think the price was about the same as you paid, $12 or so.

I pay about $12.50 plus tax at the local hardware store for a 20 lb bottle, (refill). I have toyed with the idea of getting a pair of 40 lb tanks.

Back