A "Chewy" Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
I want to brew a stout that i can eat, not drink so this is what i'm thinking:

• Mashing at 158 F for more unfermentables
  • Using more Crystal Malt
  • Using Flaked Wheat/Barley/or Rye
  • Ferment with a Low attenuating yeast

Should i use 5% crystal malts and 5% flaked wheat? I am going for a session stout that has a BIG mouthfeel. My concern is that i don't want it to be cloying sweet, so i will add significant amounts of hops to balance it out.

Any advice for brewing motor oil? :D

Flaked barley will give you heavier mouthfeel than flaked oats. Barley has more soluable fibers (beta-glucans). I made an Imperial Stout that I'll be bottling soon, but this is the thickest thing I've ever seen. When I was moving the carboy around, it sloshed up the sides a little and I SWEAR I saw "legs" of alcohol running down the side. Just looking at the surface of the beer you can tell it's thick.

Basics:
1.073 OG
58IBUs

60% english pale
11% crystal (50% 80*L, 50% 120*L)
5.5% chocolate
2.5% roasted barley
5.5% aromatic malt
5.5% flaked barley
1# caramelized sugar

If you are going for a sweet stout, then lactose sugar is the way to go. It's not fermentable and will add sweetness and defintely make it more chewy!

Add a lb of Maltodextrin, it's about 12% fermentable and will add the kind of chewiness you are describing.

Yes, mash some carapils or add the maltodextrin. Roasted barley will also boost your FG while lending color and not a coffee taste like roasted malt.:mug:

get your sweetness from the malts and mashing higher and lower attenuating yeast. I added lactose to one of my stouts and boy did it last a long time. I just couldnt stomach it, either that or use it sparingly.

Back