Can you Detach and Transplant Satellite Shoot Bunches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Checkitout, knowmsayn? This is a pic of a couple 3rd-year cascades. If you look at the further of the two that are actually showing, you will see that, about 18" back, it has started a satellite bunch of shoots:

hg093.jpg

Now, of course, I don't want any more than about 4 or 5 shoots per line, so I was wondering if it's possible to dig up around that satellite portion, get as much of the root base as I can, and transplant it all to another line...and have it actually survive. What say ye?

I bet you can. This is my first year growing hops, but other plants can be split off like that from my experience. It should be its own plant , although connected by roots.

I 'm interested too. I have seen them take clipping of the growing bines and use them to start plants in hydroponic growings so a rhizome with bines growing out shouldn't be a problem to clip off from the other plant. I'm wanting to grow one each of what I need and bury one of the bines every place I want another plant for next year. This plant sounds so agressive.

Yes, but you want to get a good sized root ball with it. I would start between the Mother plant and the offshoot and go straight down with a shovel. Work your way around the offshoot with the shovel as wide and deep as you can and pull it out keeping root ball together. This will lessen the shock to the baby hop.

Yes, but you want to get a good sized root ball with it. I would start between the Mother plant and the offshoot and go straight down with a shovel. Work your way around the offshoot with the shovel as wide and deep as you can and pull it out keeping root ball together. This will lessen the shock to the baby hop.

That was the plan---just wanted to make sure it was a viable one...thanks! :mug:

Re
"That was the plan---just wanted to make sure it was a viable one...thanks! "
Hmmm...
Would that be Billy Carter's pic on yer post?

He was in my platoon at ITR in '56 @ Camp Geiger!

The part that's growing away from the original crown comes from a rhizome, same thing we buy to start 'em. You can take as much or as little (to a point) that you want to, with better first year growth if you take more. I'm digging an entire plant up this year to take a couple cuttings to propogate and to put the main plant into a raised box. Should be doing it later in the week and plan to photograph the process.

Re
"That was the plan---just wanted to make sure it was a viable one...thanks! "
Hmmm...
Would that be Billy Carter's pic on yer post?

He was in my platoon at ITR in '56 @ Camp Geiger!

Indeed! Brewed expressly for and with the personal approval of one of America's all-time great beer drinkers - Billy Carter. He had this beer brewed just for him. He thinks it's the best he's ever tasted. And he's tasted a lot. He thinks you'll like it, too.

Back