The Mantis :: First Impressions of a New IC from JaDeD Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice review!
Questions:The inlet water, the flow is split into the inner and the outer coils?

The cap that makes up the "adapter" assembly, from the 1/4 to the larger rigid tubing: Does it look to be a "store bought piece", or simply a cap drilled with 2 holes to accept the 1/4 tubing?

And thanks for the review.

Nice review!
Questions:The inlet water, the flow is split into the inner and the outer coils?

The cap that makes up the "adapter" assembly, from the 1/4 to the larger rigid tubing: Does it look to be a "store bought piece", or simply a cap drilled with 2 holes to accept the 1/4 tubing?

And thanks for the review.

I just went and looked... to be honest, I don't know :drunk:

So my wife went out and bought me this chiller + whirlybird whirlpool attachment for Christmas. I could not be happier with this chiller. They also built me custom 2" legs on it to keep it up off of my electric element. The quality of their work is impressive.

I was able to take a 5.5 gallon batch from boiling to 64 in about 10 minutes with no manual stirring at all, just the whirlpool. Only used about 15G-20G of water too.

The lower profile of this chiller makes it perfect to do 5G batches in my 15G kettle without too much of the chiller being above the wort. Chilling just went from a 45 minute process with my old homemade chiller to a 10 minute process!

I decided to post back here since I learned about this chiller from this thread and have been dreaming about it ever since.

So my wife went out and bought me this chiller + whirlybird whirlpool attachment for Christmas. I could not be happier with this chiller. They also built me custom 2" legs on it to keep it up off of my electric element. The quality of their work is impressive.

I was able to take a 5.5 gallon batch from boiling to 64 in about 10 minutes with no manual stirring at all, just the whirlpool. Only used about 15G-20G of water too.

The lower profile of this chiller makes it perfect to do 5G batches in my 15G kettle without too much of the chiller being above the wort. Chilling just went from a 45 minute process with my old homemade chiller to a 10 minute process!

I decided to post back here since I learned about this chiller from this thread and have been dreaming about it ever since.

Awesome!

I know this is a pretty old thread, but think the Mantis is my next "brewing" investment. I'm tired of stock piling ice and longer chill times with ice baths. I'm pretty content with 5.5 gallon batches, so thinking the Mantis will be the perfect size.
Anyone else using this chiller?:fro:

I know this is a pretty old thread, but think the Mantis is my next "brewing" investment. I'm tired of stock piling ice and longer chill times with ice baths. I'm pretty content with 5.5 gallon batches, so thinking the Mantis will be the perfect size.
Anyone else using this chiller?:fro:

If you want one I'm actually looking to sell mine. It's the mantis with the whirly bird whirlpool attachments. I've upgraded to 10 & 15 gallon batches and looking to go counterflow. Probably only 15-20 batches on it. If interested I'll take some pics for you. It's been a great chiller and with the whirlpool attachment it's pretty hands off. Mine also has 3" legs that hold it above my electric element that can easily be removed.

If you want one I'm actually looking to sell mine. It's the mantis with the whirly bird whirlpool attachments. I've upgraded to 10 & 15 gallon batches and looking to go counterflow. Probably only 15-20 batches on it. If interested I'll take some pics for you. It's been a great chiller and with the whirlpool attachment it's pretty hands off. Mine also has 3" legs that hold it above my electric element that can easily be removed.

Yes, I'm interested. Not 100% on which chiller yet. Not familiar with the whirly bird option, and not sure I need the stands. The Cobra still peaks my interest. I'd be interested in pics and $ if you want to PM them to me.
Thanks!

Here's a few pics. I paid around $125 + shipping but the custom legs and whirylbird were about $25 worth of that cost and would be easy to remove if you didnt want them. I also added the male camlock to the whirlpool attachment.

20160222_194604.jpg

20160222_194612.jpg

20160222_194635.jpg

Here's a few pics. I paid around $125 + shipping but the custom legs and whirylbird were about $25 worth of that cost and would be easy to remove if you didnt want them. I also added the male camlock to the whirlpool attachment.

Shoot me a price. I don't really need the whirly bird or legs

I was looking at possibly upgrading my 25' immersion coil and was wondering how hard is this to clean? The wire looks like it would be tough to clean everything out of.

I was looking at possibly upgrading my 25' immersion coil and was wondering how hard is this to clean? The wire looks like it would be tough to clean everything out of.

Piece of cake. All I do is spray it down with my water hose and call it good, haven't had an issue.

I ended up purchasing the Mantis from a member here on the forum, and I must admit, I was a bit skeptical of the chill times and claims made about the chiller. I got a great deal though and bit the bullet and made the purchase. One incredible investment I must say! I've just saved myself approx 1.5 to 2 hrs of PITA chill time with ice baths and the like. And at least $10 a batch for not having to buy ice seeing as how my ice maker couldn't keep up even when I saved ice for over a week...not to mention storing it.
I couldn't be more pleased. I just chilled my 5.5 gallon batch to 57 degrees in approx 10 minutes. :mug:
One of the best purchases I've made.

Latest posts

Back