Hops and dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
I have been wanting to grow hops but I have a dog and have heard they are toxic to them. Is this true? Everything I've read is contradictory.

What type of dog? It's like an allergy, some dogs have it some don't. Sadly, Theirs no way of knowing for sure if your dog suffers from it, best bet is to play it safe. I'd say if you want to grow hops, do it, just maybe put some chicken wire around them, or keep a close eye on your dog.

From what I've read, greyhounds are particularly susceptible, but I think other dogs are vulnerable as well.

It also seems to primarily be an issue with spent hops. Unused hops on the vine I guess don't smell/look/taste appetizing to dogs, but when they're covered in sticky, sweet wort it becomes another story.

She's a black lab. She doesn't usually eat any plants we have like I've seen some dogs do. I'm just so hesitant to risk it.

If I do decide to grow them, where could I buy the seeds or young vines?

You would buy a rhizome,looks like ginger. They are sold in the spring by many of LHBS and online suppliers.

There are many threads on this subject. The consensus seems to be that most dogs have no interest in the hop plants. My dogs have never showed interest in my hop plants.

My father in-law brings his dog to the hop yard all the time and "Max" is doing fine. He really never pays any attention to them. Not really sure dogs like bitter but sweet ones after a boil probably shouldn’t be left around.

I would also like to grow hops and have several dogs. Many places mention dogs do not like the raw hops but I will take no chances and separate the dogs from the plants. Fences work.

Well, actually, our Siberians consider fences a minor delay. So we have 4,000 V livestock fencing in addition to 6 ft welded wire fence and dig guards. Any simple 4 ft fence will dissuade our Labrador.

Next year I will try growing some rhizomes. On the outside of the fence.

I just put up some 3 ft fencing around my garden and grow them there. I had to keep my chickens out but it works well to keep the dogs out too.

I thought of fencing but I was told they are invasive and will just spread everywhere.

You can grow them without worrying about dogs. They are only effected by the spent hops not the hop cones on the plants. Once the vines start to grow it wont put out cones for some time and the vines should be over 5 or 6 feet tall. As you train them up you should also start to remove the bottom leaves and any random cones forming to prevent any fungus growth. Therefore, there will be no plant material where the dog can even reach. I have 2 dogs and they have never shown any interest in the vines.

One of my aunts neighbors has quite a few hops growing in his yard. They have two dogs and no problem with the hops and dogs, you just have to be a responsible pet owner.

Latest posts

Back