Newbie looking for good source for recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfan86

Reaction score
New to brewing and not experienced enough to really build my own recipes. I do have a good idea of the styles I like to drink and would like to make. I'd feel more comfortable getting a detailed and tested recipe. What source can I find on the web outside of here.

Try some books like Brewing classic Styles. The recipes are great the give you both extract and all grain rcipes plus some advice on what each style should be.

Also check out Northern Brewers kits they have a huge variety. I just looked their site over yesterday and am trying to figure out what I want to try for my 3rd batch

NB has all their recipes as PDFs when you look at the kits. Even if you don't order from them, you can still brew the same beer, or modify it a little. BYO.com has a lot of recipes on their site as well, both originals and commercial clones. If you e-mail your favorite brewery with a polite request for instructions on how to brew their beer at home, they're generally pretty helpful at least as far as providing a general outline, although some will send back the entire recipe. Your other option is to post your recipe on the recipes/ingredients section of the forum and let the community provide constructive criticism.

kingwood-kid said:
NB has all their recipes as PDFs when you look at the kits. Even if you don't order from them, you can still brew the same beer, or modify it a little. BYO.com has a lot of recipes on their site as well, both originals and commercial clones. If you e-mail your favorite brewery with a polite request for instructions on how to brew their beer at home, they're generally pretty helpful at least as far as providing a general outline, although some will send back the entire recipe. Your other option is to post your recipe on the recipes/ingredients section of the forum and let the community provide constructive criticism.

Thank Thts a lot of help I'm definitely going to use the recipe forum here once I get a feel and toss out some recipe ideas for the others on here to help with.. For now I'm going to try the websites you mention before I invest in a good book, it's cool tht nb offers their recipes free... It would be awesome if I can get a recipe from one of my local brewery's favorites never thought about tht, all great ideas... Thnx

midwest lists all the recipes right on their kits
northern brewer lists all the recipes for their kits on the learn/documentation tab

might want to buy the ingredients from them if you steal their recipes and don't want to buy a kit, the published recipes are a nice touch.:mug:

I second buying Brewing Classic Styles. With a Kindle app on your computer you can buy it for like $10 and all the recipes are award winning, plus the tips on how to brew to the specific style are very helpful. That being said, I do like going through the recipe section here and have made some real winners from the recipes members post.

Like Trubdog said, we have a vast recipes section, that is pretty well vetted- when we find that someone has put a recipe that hasn't been brewed yet in there, the mods usually move it out of the archives. To tell if a recipe has been brewed often or not, look at the ones with actual comments and discussions going on.

I started with Brewer's Best extract kits, which included both extract only and extract with steeping grains. Then I graduated to brewing recipies that were offered on my LHBW website. From there I bought "Brewing Classic Styles" and read it through. Now I am AG and generally select a style I wish to brew, read several recipies for that style on the recipies forum, draft out my own recipie, and plug it into tasty brew to check that the IBUs and color are within the style range. Sounds like a lot more work than it actually is.

I second buying Brewing Classic Styles. With a Kindle app on your computer you can buy it for like $10 and all the recipes are award winning, plus the tips on how to brew to the specific style are very helpful. That being said, I do like going through the recipe section here and have made some real winners from the recipes members post.

I can't find on Amazon for Kindle. Am I missing it?

No, I think you're right, the Amazon page has: Tell the Publisher! I'd like to read this book on Kindle
...so that would imply it doesn't yet exist.

Hey Mr. shakes beer, I'm guessing those are the MDHB recipes you were doing. Which ones were your favorites? We've really liked the Oktoberfest the best, but we also made the Half Bass and the Honey Red.
-bill

Back