PSI Problem - Dual Body CO2 Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnvBrewer80

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I hope someone can help me with this problem as it's driving me nuts. I have a dual-body, three gauge CO2 regulator from MoreBeer.com. From day one, I haven't entirely trusted its ability to keep constant PSI on the left regulator (one farthest from the CO2 tank). I know I can adjust it because I can dial it way down to 4-5 PSI when I hook it up to my Beer Gun for bottling competition beers. But, whenever I have a keg of homebrew hooked up to that outer gauge it always seems to eventually (after 3 or 4 or 7 days) creep up 3-4 PSI higher than I set it for.

My latest issue is that I kegged a blueberry mead and dialed the outer gauge to 8 PSI so it would be slightly carbonated and have enough pressure to move through my draft lines. The inside gauge (closest to the CO2 tank) is set at 10 PSI and it hooked up to a keg of English Bitter. I went away for the holidays for 2 weeks, and found the the outer gauge at 15 PSI! The mead is super carbonated with that "nice" carbonic acid bite. The English Bitter gauge is still sitting pretty at 10 PSI and looks/tastes properly carbonated for the style.

What the h$%# is going on? :mad:

Can I disconnect everything and try to purge that outer gauge in case a poppet or diaphgram is stuck? If so, I hope one of you guys can point in me in the right direction for troubleshooting a regulator that doesn't seem to regulate.

My last bit of information; I have noticed that I don't hear gas (or the PSI dial move) immediately when I adjust the screw on EITHER gauge. It usually takes a a half-turn or more with the screwdriver before I hear gas flowing into the keg and/or the PSI dial move upwards. I find this strange as my single body regulator would have an immediate reponse when turning that screw.

Thanks!

It sounds like you have a defective regulator. I recommend contacting MoreBeer for a replacement. They are really good about standing by their products. Keep us posted!

Back