Just found 12 bottles of apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number68

Reaction score
that I made 3 YEARS AGO.

I was afraid something would have gone sour, but threw em in the fridge for a few hours, cracked one open, and it's absolutely delicious. tastes just like slightly dry, lightly carbed, apple juice. and 2 bottles later, I realized I forgot how much of a punch it packs.

Makes me wish I let more of it age like this. Maybe next time I'll do 10gal instead of 5, and try to forget about some of it for a while

I wish I had the same enthusiasm for apfelwein. I made a batch 1.5 years ago, and still have 75% of it left.

I wish I had the same enthusiasm for apfelwein. I made a batch 1.5 years ago, and still have 75% of it left.

When was the last time you tried it ? I bet it's good!

number68 did you add campden tablets or anything to help preserve it, or just bottle it up?

it IS on the dry side, you can't expect it to taste like a bottle of over concentrated applejuice from shopright, it just aint gonna happen. my sister, who HATES anything dry, especially wine, tried some, and she said she hates it less than other wines, and thinks it's similar to a champagne.

and brewyou, I didn't add anything to it. followed his recipe perfectly, only using brown sugar instead of dextrose. and I ran my bottles on the "Sanitize" function of my dishwasher, knowing I was going to age it for a while. I'm tempted to take a gravity reading to see where it's at

Back