Keg Catch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
OK, i have a friend that wants to sell me 2 kegs. One is a 1/2 barrel, the other is a pony.. both for 40$... is this a good deal? Not really sure what I am going to do with them.. someday I want to make a keggle.. but if figure i will use the 1/2 gallon for that...

tell me what you think...

Buy them, now! You won't find a better price for the 1/2 barrel alone. and you can send them my way if you can't find a use for them I am looking for a new Mash tun.

THIEF!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist... :D

If he can't get the deposit back then they are only worth the price of scrap. A real friend would give them to you for beer....

You could also use the pny for a HLT or eevn MT and use the 1/2 barrel for a keggle. And you will end up making 10g batches.

Since the brew day only increases by about 20% then it is more time efficent to make 10g batches any way.

well.. here is my score... I aquired them from a friend with the "I dont want to know where you got them from" mentality.

5436-IMG_2173.JPG

Eh, not bad for 40 bucks...

Like I said if you can't put them to use I will hold on to them for you!:D Really though that is an awsome score. i would hang on to them and figure out what it is that you want to biuld out of them. and tell your friend to call me next time he decides not to return a keg:mug:

Cheers

Nice score! Funny...I just scored the exact same thing last week. I'm going to use the pony for the MLT and that will allow me to direct fire and heat my mash that way if needed.

I figure I'll be able to do pretty much all of my batches (including 10 gallon) using that MLT. I rarely fill up my 10 gallon cooler even in a 10 gallon batch.

thats awesome.. i havent yet gotten into AG, so I really dont have a clue about how you can use a 7.75 keg for a 10 gallon batch... I am going to have to do a lot more research and a bit more investing!

Where is a good place to get these things cut?

aekdbbop said:
Where is a good place to get these things cut?
It's hard to give you a recommendation because this type of thing is a local deal.

I did have good luck in finding someone using craigslist. You may have to do alot of explaining, but that conversation will give you a feel for what their skills are. You definately need to get someone that can work with SS.

You basically want a 10- 12" hole cut in the top of the keg that is de-burred.
You'll want to order 2 or 3 1/2" SS full couplers in advance.
You want them to make sure that the welds are done so that the SS is passivated and won't rust and that they hold water.

You want to make sure that your couplers are placed right at the level where the keg wall breaks into the dome that makes up the keg bottom.

You want to avoid placing the couplers where there are hole in the skirt of the keg.

Back