Beer on Cider yeast, suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyTX

Reaction score
So I just made some Graff (ok, it'll be done soon...)

What could I make that would go good if I just poured the wort on the cider yeast. its safale-05 yeast.

Any suggestions?

I'm open to anything, but I don't have an all-grain setup, just partial.

Thanks!

Safale-05 is an ale yeast. Do you like Altbier. I would bet this would be a good choice following your Graff.
Prost, Mack

as was mentioned 05 is an ale yeast, do whatever you feel like really, as long as there isnt a bunch of cider left floating over the yeast it should dilute enough that the cider flavor wont show through. maybe a brown ale?

as was mentioned 05 is an ale yeast, do whatever you feel like really, as long as there isnt a bunch of cider left floating over the yeast it should dilute enough that the cider flavor wont show through. maybe a brown ale?

I think a brown ale with a little cider taste in the background actually sounds pretty good

The yeast might be stressed going from cider to beer since cider has simpler sugars. I was gonna do the same thing but decided against it, thinking a $3 yeast packet was worth it to ensure my beer turned out right.

I have never heard of Altbier. the descriptions I read said they are bitter. Generally, I'm not a bitter beer person. (When I think of bitter, I think of Arrogant Bastard..)

Bovine- Its not about "turning out right" I think it'll do fine. I wanted something that could benefit from the slight background of a graff. Besides, our packets of yeast here are almost 7 bucks!

Salty,
I was first exposed to Altbier in Germany, and I love them. They are only bitter in the same way as an English Bitter or ESB. I don't care for Arrogant Bastard; I'm not much of a hophead. I would like something with less bittering hops, but then heavily dry hopped for aroma. I really like Sam Adams' "Noble Pils". It seems to me this may be similar to what I mentioned above. Good luck.

$7 for S-05; someone has the market cornered and is making a mint.

As previously noted, graff has a lot of simple sugars and the yeast may not do too well if you pitch straight on to it. Personally I would not re-ues it. But because of the large yeast count in a cake, it will not reproduce much, and you will end up with a lot of yeast that are used to simple sugars.

2 Options:

1) Use about 25% of the cake and hope it reproduces as normal (I think this would have very little risk - I would do this if pushed). NOTE: Even for normal re-use I would recommend using only a quarter of a cake to get new healthy yeast and other flavor benefits.

2) Take some of the cake and make a starter out of it.

$7 for S-05; someone has the market cornered and is making a mint.

As previously noted, graff has a lot of simple sugars and the yeast may not do too well if you pitch straight on to it. Personally I would not re-ues it. But because of the large yeast count in a cake, it will not reproduce much, and you will end up with a lot of yeast that are used to simple sugars.

2 Options:

1) Use about 25% of the cake and hope it reproduces as normal (I think this would have very little risk - I would do this if pushed). NOTE: Even for normal re-use I would recommend using only a quarter of a cake to get new healthy yeast and other flavor benefits.

2) Take some of the cake and make a starter out of it.

I like #2... a starter would preferentially select the yeast that are still good at fermenting wort, thus ensuring good health. Though, I think you'd probably lose the graff flavor a bit if that's what you're going for.

Whatever you decide Salty, let us know how it goes!

Back