Total water needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve973

Reaction score
Hey all...

I've been using ProMash in preparation for brewing, and I'm trying to figure out the amount of water I'll need for mashout and sparge. The volume calculation for water is pretty easy when you're figuring one quart per pound of grain, but I'm having a bit of difficulty in figuring out the amount of boiling water to add to achieve a 170 degree mashout, and then the amount of water I'll need for the sparge. Since we're using a four gallon pot for the sparge water, I just want to be sure that it'll be big enough to get six gallons or so into the boil pot.

hey steve, check out this article by ray daniels from www.allaboutbeer.com. i use it for all my brews and it works great. www.allaboutbeer.com/homebrewing/water.html

each system will differ in water loss, but water loss in grains is pretty much the same. i use about 1.33 qts per pound of water for mash-in (and that's what the article is close to). but, you can tweak it to fit the desired mash thickness.

DeRoux's Broux said:
hey steve, check out this article by ray daniels from www.allaboutbeer.com. i use it for all my brews and it works great. http://www.allaboutbeer.com/homebrew/water.html

each system will differ in water loss, but water loss in grains is pretty much the same. i use about 1.33 qts per pound of water for mash-in (and that's what the article is close to). but, you can tweak it to fit the desired mash thickness.

sorry, haven't had enough coffee yet! 1.33 quarts of water per pound of grain. :p for some reason the link doesn't work. but, just go to www.allaboutbeer.com, and do a keyword search for "how much brewing water". it's about the 5th or 6th article down.

Back