Central MA/Central CT Group grain buy ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sending out an e-mail now with the details rather than posting my address and cell number all over the internet.

I believe someone has volunteered to help get some grain to CT. Who should i make contact with there for a pickup in the Manchester or Windsor area?

thanks,
jason

I have the same mill and it's great but I wish that I had gone for the bigger hopper.

Can't you get the extension for it? Or just find a metal shop that can fabricate the extension for you (probably take them all of 5 minutes to bend the metal and rivet it together)...

I went with the 7# hopper, since the 15# model was out of stock... I can put more grain into the hopper as room becomes available while milling... Although it could come in handy when crushing for MOAB... :D

I believe someone has volunteered to help get some grain to CT. Who should i make contact with there for a pickup in the Manchester or Windsor area?

thanks,
jason

I'm picking up for a few people already, so if you want I can transport your order back to Manchester.

I actually just got a Grizzly corona mill, but it is so crude I have doubts as to its grain-crushing abilities. Cranking it a few times without any malt in it, I think I'm going to get half flour and half uncrushed grains based on the wobble of the grinding plate.

The grain has arrived!

grain.jpg

Sweet. If you could validate the shipment against the order that would be good. if there are any issues we need to notify NCM asap (within 72 hours).

nice!

has pickup location and time been established?

I sent out an e-mail yesterday to everyone that was on the e-mail list with the info. Did you not get it? I sent you a PM with a copy of the e-mail just now.

By my quick calcs, that's about ---

10,000 bottles of beer on the pallet, 10,000 bottles of beer.
Take one down, pass it around, 9,999 bottles of beer on the pallet

9,999 bottles of beer on the pallet, 9,999 bottles of beer.
Take one down, pass it around, 9,998 bottles of beer on the pallet...

:drunk:

Hey Monox or Golddiggie, any way you could grab my 1 sack of 2-row? It would be much easier for me to pick up in Framingham or Natick, as I carpool with a co-worker in Framingham.

Hey Monox or Golddiggie, any way you could grab my 1 sack of 2-row? It would be much easier for me to pick up in Framingham or Natick, as I carpool with a co-worker in Framingham.

If you want to swing into Natick Center on your way home, I can have it at my place...

Alright, so looks like I can pick up the grain on Sunday afternoon, if that is OK. Here is what I'm going to pick up:

Me:
1 CMC 2-row
1 Baird's pale

dami860:
1 CMC 2-row

K47K:
1 best pils
1 best wheat
1 CMC 2-row

jaginger:
1 Maris Otter (not sure of the brand)
.5 bag Vienna

So anyone know how the bag of Vienna is going to get split up? I'm not really sure how to transport it, if I'm honest.

jaginger, When are you picking up your order? We're splitting a bag and I'm going to pick my order tomorrow. Just wondering if I should bring a scale or if you will split the bag.

Wow. We posted at the same time.

I'm picking up my order tomorrow. I'll bring a scale and a container for 1/2 of my Vienna. You can just take jaginger's half in the bag it came in.

Wow. We posted at the same time.

I'm picking up my order tomorrow. I'll bring a scale and a container for 1/2 of my Vienna. You can just take jaginger's half in the bag it came in.

Heh, that is pretty funny. And that should work fine, just take your half and leave the rest, I'll pick it up and alert jaginger when I get home that I have the half-bag.

Alright, so looks like I can pick up the grain on Sunday afternoon, if that is OK. Here is what I'm going to pick up:

Me:
1 CMC 2-row
1 Baird's pale

dami860:
1 CMC 2-row

K47K:
1 best pils
1 best wheat
1 CMC 2-row

jaginger:
1 Maris Otter (not sure of the brand)
.5 bag Vienna

So anyone know how the bag of Vienna is going to get split up? I'm not really sure how to transport it, if I'm honest.

What time on Sunday? If I end up brewing I should be done by 4. Golddiggie was just here and picked up K47K's grain.

What time on Sunday? If I end up brewing I should be done by 4. Golddiggie was just here and picked up K47K's grain.

I can show up around 5, if that would be OK with you. And I'll scratch K47K's grain off the list, then.

That is probably a good thing, as I wasn't quite sure how my poor Camry was going to respond to 400 pounds of grain...

I can show up around 5, if that would be OK with you. And I'll scratch K47K's grain off the list, then.

That is probably a good thing, as I wasn't quite sure how my poor Camry was going to respond to 400 pounds of grain...

Sunday at 5 is perfect. See you then.

Going to prefix this with something... My landlord is something else... First he's all for me brewing beer in my apartment, then he gets a hair across his ass about it... Some bullsheit about "what if you spill..." "hops causes mold..." "can't do production level..." Like I could even consider anything even remotely CLOSE to production level with the tiny a$$ed apartment I'm renting. No idea where he gets his F'ing information from, but now it seems like he doesn't want me to brew ANYTHING here... What a mother ********* ***** ****** ******** ****** ********** ********! He did the same thing when I was making BBQ... I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at all about this...

As soon as I get a new job, and can scrape together enough funds, I'm getting the F out of this place. I hope it's before spring is over. I've had enough of his whining and junk... Seems like every time I discover something really fun to do, he manages to find a way to prevent me from doing it.

So, If anyone that wasn't able to get in on the grain buy is looking for a sack, or two, I'm open to selling some of what I picked up. I'm still keeping some, but I don't need all of it. Especially since I'm going to have to either cut back on how much I brew, or try to find someplace else to brew it.

Available grains:
1 sack of MO
2 sacks of UK 2 Row

Screw that... I would just brew. He can't really say how much you can cook, eat, drink, or brew really. All he can do is rent to you with whatever lease or agreement you previously entered. Good luck tho

- Kyle

That's where I think the issue is... I don't have a lease, it's a "tenant at will" situation... I told him I have apartment insurance, and he wanted to see the certificate... WTF?? I don't have a certificate saying I'm insured, or my belonging are.

I'm between jobs at the moment... If I wasn't, I'd just nod and then get a new place and tell him that I was moving out instead of paying the next month's rent... F him...

Keep in mind, I've been here since April of 2001... He increased the rent this past fall, but now he's talking about increasing it again because he's a nervous biotch... "What if you knock one of them over(referring to a carboy)?" Chances of me spilling one of those is slim to nil. I place them in an area where they WON'T be 'knocked over' no matter what I do.

No idea where he got the info about hops and mold... Not to mention I keep what little hops I have, that are not in a brew, vacuum packed, in the fridge. Not to mention, they're pellet hops (for now, got some whole hops on order, but they're also sealed)... I'll probably hold off on using the whole hops until I either move, or can ferment someplace else...

He's not worth getting into a fight in. Nor is the place I'm living in... It's a SMALL 1 bedroom apartment... If it's lucky, it's 500 square feet. It's ONLY saving grace is that electric is included in the rent, since he was too cheap/lazy/etc. to get it split away from the one meter before renting the apartment... He used to rent out the basement apartment, until it flooded too much and that person left. He did fix the flooding, but never rented it again (not sure if he actually can rent it out now). He installed a sky light in the bathroom, about four years ago now... It's still not finished. There's enough of a draft that I had to put up the cold barrier plastic this year. I got sick of having cold air on my head as I took a dump.

I had to get headphones to work for the sound from the tv, because playing xbox (with friends more of the time) was keeping him awake... Originally, I could go until about 10 or 11 at night before using them... That's slowly gotten earlier, and earlier, and earlier... Now, if I'm going to play at all, and it's not during the day (or I'm going to be done before 8pm) I just use the headphones...

Yeah, I'm sick of his crap... Until this past year, things weren't so bad, but now... I don't know if it's because he's not getting laid, or what...

Oh, and the bbq that I was using, that he moved on me since he said it was 'killing the grass' where it was originally (and fairly easy to get to) was a holiday present from family (not cheap either, for them)... It's a rusted heap now, due to where he placed it...

I'm going to the brew day on Saturday at Strange Brew (getting 5 gallons to ferment)... I might see if I can have it ferment where the other person lives (who has a landlord that fully supports him brewing)... After that, I'll probably have to cut back on how often I brew. I was planning on not brewing during the high summer heat, since my place turns into a sauna (he doesn't like the AC running, in my place, if I'm not actually here :rolleyes: )... I've tried to get him to install a good venting fan in the attic for the past several years... He's always done Mickey Mouse versions (small fans blowing towards more vents cut into the eaves)... Meanwhile, the actual one I mentioned to him was solar powered, so it would cost all of $0.00 to run... Whatever...

Once I move out of this place, I think he'll be more than just lucky to find anyone else willing to live here... There's all of two closets in the place, neither of them are in the bedroom. There's only one entrance/exit, with NO alternative way out of the place (no rope ladder from a window, nothing)...

This latest item is just one more reason why I need to get the hell out of this place. I do plan on making sure the next place is better suited to brewing... Such as on the ground/1st floor... Enough storage areas... Hopefully access to a basement where I can age things...

That reminds me, I have stuff in what's supposed to be 'my area' of the basement (for storage)... I couldn't get to it if I wanted to. He's go so much CRAP down there, it's not funny.

I have the malt analysis sheets from our order. If any one needs them send me an email and I'll get them over to you.

Thanks guys for making this happen. I hope that everything went smoothly and we can do this again in the future- not too soon though since I have 8 sacks of grain to now play with.
Thanks again,
Tom

This WAS a great thing to be involved in... I just wish my LL wasn't being the universe's biggest ******...

I have unloaded all the 'spare' sacks that I care to (after yesterday's brew-day I have about 3-1/2 left :()...

I am looking forward to doing this again next year, so that I can stock back up... I will be in a new place, and either have someplace else to brew, or not need to worry about brewing at home...

BTW, my Barley Crusher arrived on Friday, used it on Saturday... That thing ROCKS!!! Used my 18v DeWalt cordless drill to power it, and it munched through the grain like it was almost nothing. Used the factory gap setting (it was even) and got really good crush. It ate through the 22-1/2# of base malt we used in under 4 minutes (about 6#/minute I believe, hard to say since I was grinning so much from using it)... Didn't realize how much space 22-1/2# of grain takes up when milled... Filled the 6.5 gallon bucket... :eek:

Looking forward to the next time I get to use the BC on some of my own grain...

Latest posts

Back