Welding SS with flux-core wire do I need shielding gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
I previously welded fitting on a keggle with ss wire and argon mix shielding gas with mixed results. I heard about and purchased a spool of Blue Demon 0.035 "gasless flux-core stainless steel wire" to use in my Lincoln 3200 HD Weldpak. I recently was in Airgas buying brazing wire (for some ss fittings which failed miserabely) and mentioned gasless flux-core ss wire to the clerk helping me and he said "you'll still need shielding gas"; who is right? Does anyone here have any experience with this stuff? I know its not a substitute for TIG but I have welded quite a bit with this MIG setup and my previous Hobart Handler. Any help or techniques are appreciated.

I've never used fluxed core on stainless, prefering tig, so I'll let someone else speak to the weld and adequacy of shielding. I will say that if you had mixed results with bare wire I'd be hesitant to use flux core. You'll get deeper penetration with it than the bare wire and if you aren't comfortable with it you can quite easily blow through something as thin as a keg. Make sure you try to stay on the coupling as much as possible.

I have never used it, but I would think you would need to back gas to prevent the sugaring. You might be able to use a paste flux instead of gas.

part of the point of the flux core is so you do not have to use gas; however, splatter will increase...I would use gas to shield your weld, it will be much cleaner that way. But, I'm no expert, just what I have learned on the matter so take my thought for what its worth.

I used some over the weekend to repair my neighbors pot that had a pin hole in one of the welds and to repair a crack on one of my kegel's skirting. It worked fine i had no problems with it. it welded nice cleaned it up with a sanding disk you can't even tell that i did any welding.

I say try it and report back...maybe use some anti spatter spray JIC

Flux core is so you don't need shielding gas. I use it in the small miller matic around the house not on SS but for other items its really nice when you are welding something in windy conditions as the shielding gas gets blown away sometimes resulting in a nasty weld. Maybe the clerk meant backgass would be needed?

I'm going to try it just wanted some tips. I'll report back with my results.

normally you need tri-gas for stanless mig. the weld is far messier then tig and you can't do very thick meterial but a 110volt should handle all homebrew needs.

you maybe able to get fluxcore for SS but i never heard of it.

fluxcore leave a mess and is hard to weld with cause of all the the flux smoke. it is for gasless apps ei windy or dirty metal outdoors. you can do nice work with it but the smoke gets in the way. also it lays down alot less weld because its hollow

Its been a while since I did any weird stuff with MIG. IIRC you need to switch the polarity when using flux core wire? Maybe the brew has me thinking off center?

Edit: I just checked and you need to make the gun the - lead to use flux core wire. With gas the gun runs on the + side.

Nick - I am specifically asking about the Blue Demon Flux-core wire that I have in my possession. They definately make it. My question is regarding the tech that told me I still need gas to use the "gasless" flux-core ss wire.

You don't need gas to get it to fuse metal. If you're welding on a keg, you should back purge the weld with argon. If you don't, the back side of the weld will be very ugly (crystallized) and susceptible to corrosion.

GM - your correct the polarity needs to be reversed when using flux-core. I think Springer is right he probably was refering to the sugaring inside the vessel.

Nick - I am specifically asking about the Blue Demon Flux-core wire that I have in my possession. They definately make it. My question is regarding the tech that told me I still need gas to use the "gasless" flux-core ss wire.

first time i'm hearing about it, but thanks for making me aware of the stuff. did you look into the destructions or check teh manufactors website? they may let you know a bit more. but first or second hand experiance would be best.

i thaught i needed to fill and check my extra 25# to get the gas needed for SS but flux core sounds good.

I wonder what I can get a TIG setup for on Craigslist :)

my father, my brother and i have been looking and its retarded. i have a few lazy freinds with them but i went AL weldless for now.

you should try the fluxcore on some scrap to ge the feel first

I think you will need to back gas it or put something(flux) on the backside. I mig welded one of mine with stainless wire, tri-gas and back gassed and still got some sugaring. It all depends on the level of quality you want in the final product. I use mine as a boil kettle and really dont mind about the sugaring. any nasties living in there get boiled. I didnt feel like going through the hassle of grinding it out...i am investigating other avenues besides my mig.

I think you will need to back gas it or put something(flux) on the backside. I mig welded one of mine with stainless wire, tri-gas and back gassed and still got some sugaring. It all depends on the level of quality you want in the final product. I use mine as a boil kettle and really dont mind about the sugaring. any nasties living in there get boiled. I didnt feel like going through the hassle of grinding it out...i am investigating other avenues besides my mig.

i would mig anything on a brew rig but post brew day gear would be beter left for tig imo, not that it couldn't be done but it cleaner and far more sterile

This is just for RIMS chamber. I have weldless for my keggles. I don't have an argon bottle, Airgas will trade me an empty co2 tank for an argon tank but both of my co2 tanks are full. So I'm trying to avoid that.

Back