Flat Bottled Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danimal335

Reaction score
The beer that I'm bottling tastes flat and has no head. I've done two batches, the first was bottled 5 weeks ago and the second two weeks ago. The right amount of corn sugar was added. I'm about to bottle another batch and don't want it to turn out the same way but I'm not sure what went wrong with the first two.

The two week one might just be too soon. But five weeks? I don't know.

How did you store your bottles: room temp or chilled?

Just opened one and poured fast. There is a little head, eighth of an inch, tastes very flat.

Bottles are in a closet at room temp around 72. Caps are on tight as far as I know. I read a post about rolling them to stir up the yeast so a week ago I rolled them all but it didn't help.

First batch used the pre-measured corn sugar that came with the starter kit. We boiled the sugar with water, cooled it, put it in bucket then dumped wort on top. We probably stirred it pretty good, can't remember. No idea what the OG was, not very strong beer.

Second batch came to 3 gallons in the carboy so I added most of a 3/4 cup packet. We boiled it with water, cooled it, added it to carboy then siphoned wort on top of it. The recipe was for 5 gallon batch and we ended up with 3 gallons so I think it has high OG but again not sure.

We were thinking about with this next batch maybe shaking some of the bottles after we bottle them. Maybe adding some chamagne yeast to a few to see if it works better. Good idea? This batch was first time doing all grain. OG wasn't very high, can't remember what it was.

I'm thinking what we did should work we just screwed up somewhere and need to not screw up. Maybe next batch will work.

Thanks, cheers, :rockin:

Back