Help me pick out my Christmas present

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin18

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was hoping you guys could make a few suggestions that would help me out. My girlfriend wants to get me a $200 gift card to either Home Depot, Lowes or another appliance store to purchase a chest freezer!

Ultimately, I'd like to have a 3 keg set up. However, I won't be kegging for at least a few months so there is no rush to get things set up. For the time being I'd probably use it for fermentation temperature control. Ideally, I'd like to be able to fit a better bottle in there with the kegs. I have no problem building a collar. It's going to be a fun project!

I looked over the sizing your chest freezer thread but I was wondering if anyone had purchased a freezer recently.

Certainly, buying new is an option, but there are usually very good values on craigslist and the like. I spent about a week checking and pounced on a 14.8 cu ft Maytag for $75. There were quite a few other viable options that were listed over that period also. Enjoy.

+1 to Craigslist for the freezer. I got an ice cream cooler from a gas station off CL for $50. Just as wide as a chest freezer but no collar needed and it fits 7 cornies, gas tank, carboy and a couple bottles of beer.

You could get a gift certificate to Austin Homebrew.

I considered going used, but would prefer something newer. It's a bit of luxury but I like knowing that it wasn't used for storing deer meat.

I was honestly leaning towards one of Home Depot's Magic Chef's but I can never find them in the store. Lowes seems to be more appliance orientated though.

It's venison.... not deer meat.... :D

And.... I went with the 7.2 Frigidaire from Lowes for about $240 because it was about the only smaller freezer in that size range that was black... which are nearly impossible to find on CL. It was an important option for me at the time.

craigslist

27.5 cubic foot for $100

10 kegs, anyone? oh, and meat juice/smell can penetrate kegs? powerful stuff....

:rolleyes: It's not only the meat smell/odors and not knowing how it was previously cared for, but buying it new is the option that my girlfriend is offering. I'll have to check out the Fridgaire 7.2 at Lowes that you mentioned Hophead. I think it might just meet my needs. Plus if I get in black it'll save me some painting.

look on the HD website and get the SKU for the Magic chef. Then call every HD close to you and see if they have one in stock. I had to drive to Jersey to get mine.

B

if you go to hd with the part number they can look in their computer and tell you which store has it, then they will call ahead and have them check/hold it for you. should save you some legwork..

Back