Edworts apfelwein fermentation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
I made a batch of edworts apfelwein last month and today when i checked the gravity it had dropped from 1.064 to only 1.050. I used pastuerized "cider", though it was filtered. I also used a half pound of brown sugar in substitue of a half pound of dex for color.

I used the same red star yeast as dictated by the recipe

The ferment temp is 70. Has anyone had this issue in the past?

Any suggestions?

Well i gave it a swirl, gave it a couple of days and no change. so.... i took it out, shook the **** out of it(for re-oxygination not frustration), and repitched with EC1118 and some yeast energizer.

We'll see...

yeah, i dumped it. 3 pitches of yeast over 2 months and the same result time and time again,,,i had to cut ties.

What kind of Cider did you use? The only acceptable preservative is absorbic acid, if there's anything else in there it could be stopping the fermentation. I'm on my 3rd batch of Apfelwein and ferment in the low 60's with no issues, with your higher ferm temps you should be getting along better/faster than I.

If you have a Trader Joes or Whole Foods, pick your cider up there -- they don't carry cider that has preservatives. At least at my locations.

Shingle,

That sux man. Having to dump a batch is always hard. If you detailed your previous process, I bet we could troubleshoot it for ya and help you prevent it from happening again.

Juice brand/ingredients?
juice preparation(sulphite, or not)?
yeast hydration procedure?
pitching temp?
fermentation temp (fluctuations)?
Nutrient additions?
Degassing?

Wine yeasts are real go-getters, so there was probably something toxic in the cider; or possibly even the sugar.

I've fermented 2 batches in the mid 60's, no problems. I did add a small amount of Wyeast nutrient to stave off rhino farts. But this is probably not necessary.

The cider was from a local apple farm, the ingredients read only apples and less than 1/10 of %1 metabisulfite.

What kind of juice from trader joes do you use?

Any metabisulfite can stall fermentation. Even Mott's apple juice works better than anything with additives like that.

Back