Why, if I'm an AMERICAN living in AMERICA do I have to...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because English is becoming the government approved language of the minorities. ;)

Now the real question is why, when 90% of traffic signs are printed in English, are people given the option to take their written tests for a drivers license in spanish?

You don't need to know English to drive here. Sign shapes are universal across the globe, which is why, when you go to France, Russia, or anywhere else, you will likely be allowed to drive using your US driver's license. Numeric digits are pretty much universal too, and other than that you just need to recognize the name of the city that you want to get to.

Christ, you're not kidding...funny how we lambaste immigrants for not learning english good, but peruse this forum alone and you'll find plenty of good ol' fashioned 'merkins who lack the basic spelling and grammar skills to get through middle school.

If Jose the Immigrant should have to learn to speak English, then so should Clayton Ross. :drunk:

"Well," not "good." You can't complain about someone else's spelling and grammar when making errors yourself. :p

Why is this in General Chit Chat? Seems like it should be in the debate forum.

Or drunken ramblings...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Evan! did that on purpose ;)

I agree that "trash" should be first day training stuff, but unfortunately we can't rely on other businesses to properly train their employees.

In any case, rarely is it the individual's fault.

You don't need to know English to drive here. Sign shapes are universal across the globe, which is why, when you go to France, Russia, or anywhere else, you will likely be allowed to drive using your US driver's license. Numeric digits are pretty much universal too, and other than that you just need to recognize the name of the city that you want to get to.

Shapes are universal? No, not really. Warning signs are quite different in Europe, as are speed limit signs (round vs. rectangular). The fact that a red circle around something prohibits it in Europe confuses a lot of Americans who expect a red circle AND a slash through it.

About the only standard things are the stop sign and yield sign.

No, I just think that too often people are blaming the symptoms, rather than the problems.

While a basic training should be expected, and may not be given, I still find it remarkable that a person could ot figure this one out for themselves given that it is a key word in their line of work. I mean, imagine if you arrived in a new country and your job was to take out trash. You see a pile of trash that has a word written on it. Would your curiosity about this word not be aroused? I mean, it's trash, and it is clearly deliberately marked with something in a strange language. Would you not want to know what that word meant just in case it was important? Would you not ask someone?

It has been said already here that after picking up the basics of the language, it is possible to upgrade your job to a higher level. SOrry, but if your job is to pick up trash, and you can't figure it out on the first day then your next level is going to be too low for a snake to limbo under.

A lot of these guys are happy to have the job. It's so much more than they had previously and they may not be motivated to go any further, or perhaps don't see the opportunity. Their boss speaks in spanish and gives them very little detail on what their job entails. They live in a house that speaks nothing but spanish. They hang out with people that speak only spanish.

I know what I would do in that situation, but that doesn't mean we should hate the guy who does the work.

OBVIOUSLY, he didn't know it was trash or he wouldn't have taken the can when they changed the words. Somewhere there is a lack of understanding or responsibility. Complain to management if you want, but that's all you can do. Don't get pissed at dude because he has a crummy job and a ****ty boss. Your anger and frustration is built in vain...half the country feels disdain for these people and it helps nothing. It just fuels hatred.

Shapes are universal? No, not really. Warning signs are quite different in Europe, as are speed limit signs (round vs. rectangular). The fact that a red circle around something prohibits it in Europe confuses a lot of Americans who expect a red circle AND a slash through it.

About the only standard things are the stop sign and yield sign.

Although the speed limit sign may be a different shape, it is still obvious what it wants you to do.

As for the do-not-enter sign, those I've seen in other countries still have the white horizontal slash through a red circle, they just don't say "DO NOT ENTER" on them. I've actually been pleasantly surprised at the commonality in the designs of road signs across the world; even if you don't know what it says, you still know what it means.

Section 4-1-404 –English and Legal Language (1984)

English is hereby established as the official and legal language of Tennessee. All communications and publications, including ballots, produced by governmental entities in Tennessee shall be in English, and instruction in public schools and colleges of Tennessee shall be conducted in English unless the nature of the course would require otherwise.

No basura signs for us.:ban:

Umm I talk to several people during the course of the day from the deep south .... Can't for the life of me understand what the hell they are saying. Half the time I have to have them e-mail me with what they are trying to convey . And you say its english .. who'd of thunk?

Lets face it nobody wants to be a custodian.So its the uneducated that do it. I can't even get my kid to take out the trash . Maybe I need to write basura on it.

A lot of these guys are happy to have the job. It's so much more than they had previously and they may not be motivated to go any further, or perhaps don't see the opportunity. Their boss speaks in spanish and gives them very little detail on what their job entails. They live in a house that speaks nothing but spanish. They hang out with people that speak only spanish.

I know what I would do in that situation, but that doesn't mean we should hate the guy who does the work.

OBVIOUSLY, he didn't know it was trash or he wouldn't have taken the can when they changed the words. Somewhere there is a lack of understanding or responsibility. Complain to management if you want, but that's all you can do. Don't get pissed at dude because he has a crummy job and a ****ty boss. Your anger and frustration is built in vain...half the country feels disdain for these people and it helps nothing. It just fuels hatred.

I don't see anyone talking hate. I just see people wanting others to competently execute the very job they are hired to do.

Christ, you're not kidding...funny how we lambaste immigrants for not learning english good, but peruse this forum alone and you'll find plenty of good ol' fashioned 'merkins who lack the basic spelling and grammar skills to get through middle school.

If Jose the Immigrant should have to learn to speak English, then so should Clayton Ross. :drunk:

I don't think anybody on here is lambasting immigrants for not learning the language good, I think the OP was expressing his anger that they couldn't even learn it enough to do their job. I don't expect an immigrant to be a english professor but I also don't expect to have to order in Spanish at Jack in the Box even if it is only 2 miles north of the border.

I don't think anybody on here is lambasting immigrants for not learning the language good, I think the OP was expressing his anger that they couldn't even learn it enough to do their job. I don't expect an immigrant to be a english professor but I also don't expect to have to order in Spanish at Jack in the Box even if it is only 2 miles north of the border.

Duh. I know what he was saying, and I pretty much said what you said right there, but about 3 pages back:

Exarcly. If I went to France and got a job as a barista, you think it'd make sense for me to learn "cafe au lait", etc. I can understand if you don't yet know the whole goddamned english language, but if you haven't even taken the time to learn the singular words/phrases for the job you work, then you should be fired.

I was making a funny. :cross:

Umm I talk to several people during the course of the day from the deep south .... Can't for the life of me understand what the hell they are saying. Half the time I have to have them e-mail me with what they are trying to convey . And you say its english .. who'd of thunk?

Lets face it nobody wants to be a custodian.So its the uneducated that do it. I can't even get my kid to take out the trash . Maybe I need to write basura on it.

haha I think the worst are in the deep south of Alabama. They're probably some of the biggest supporters (stereotypiclly) of immigrants sucking, but I can understand Spanglish 100 years before that lazy ass, mouth not quite open, slurring slang "english", they think they're speaking in slow motion.

I don't see anyone talking hate. I just see people wanting others to competently execute the very job they are hired to do.

Complain to their managers. Of course, that's not necessary now, because they marked the garbage cans and the employees know now what needs to be done. It was really the boss taking "the easy way out" and avoiding the issue. Not sure why, perhaps he realistically thinks that we can't solve the problem anyway, so just make it obvious for them.

I would have made a simple phone call: "Your employees are skipping our location every day. Please have them come by and pick up our trash."

There's no point in "expecting" anyone to do anything if you are not their boss or their customer. If you are a customer of the business itself, then complain to management.

Expectation, frustration, anger, contempt, disdain, hatred. One leads to the other, none of them are healthy, none are productive.

Complain to their managers. Of course, that's not necessary now, because they marked the garbage cans and the employees know now what needs to be done. It was really the boss taking "the easy way out" and avoiding the issue. Not sure why, perhaps he realistically thinks that we can't solve the problem anyway, so just make it obvious for them.

I would have made a simple phone call: "Your employees are skipping our location every day. Please have them come by and pick up our trash."

There's no point in "expecting" anyone to do anything if you are not their boss or their customer. If you are a customer of the business itself, then complain to management.

Expectation, frustration, anger, contempt, disdain, hatred. One leads to the other, none of them are healthy, none are productive.

So, you expect zero effort from the employees to understand their job? It's all down to their management? These are intelligent people with free will and the means to adapt to a situation! You seem to be calling them stupid by saying the management are entirely responsible for their inability to learn a simple work-related word.

Yes, the management is in charge of hiring, firing, training, etc. So, yes...it is their responsibility to ensure their employees are knowledgeable about their position and willing and able to carry out their given tasks. Perhaps they will be fired if they cannot, but that's not your job, that's their job.

My point: Being angry and frustrated doesn't help anything, it just breeds more contempt and will make you feel worse. I know from experience. ;)

Yes, the management is in charge of hiring, firing, training, etc. So, yes...it is their responsibility to ensure their employees are knowledgeable about their position and willing and able to carry out their given tasks. Perhaps they will be fired if they cannot, but that's not your job, that's their job.

My point: Being angry and frustrated doesn't help anything, it just breeds more contempt and will make you feel worse. I know from experience. ;)

Why do you assume I'm angry? I have to take out my own trash, so I couldn't give a crap about the OP. I simply think that it is at the very least POLITE to try and understand the language and culture of a country that you have relocated to. I have done this elsewhere in other countries, it is actually VERY easy to make yourself accepted anywhere if you take the time and effort.

I just find it funny that you expect people you don't know to learn certain things or to act a certain way. You don't have to respect them, but don't expect it to change. And just the fact that they took it once they knew what it was proves that they DID NOT KNOW that it was trash. Any other idea of how polite they are or whether they care to further their careers is pure speculation.

There is only one fact: They couldn't do their job because they didn't understand. A complaint to management would have ensured they not only pick up your trash, but finally understand the word, which means other businesses could also have been positively affected.

We had a mexican guy working here as a janitor. It pissed me off that I couldn't communicate with him. We couldn't understand one single word that each other said and he was constantly doing things that I didn't like. Fortunately, one of my employees speaks spanish and was able to fix the problems.

Other than the lack of communication, he was the hardest damn worker I've ever seen. He lost his visa, unfortunately, and went back to mexico.

Back