Irish Coffin Box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
I am working on a new bar in my brewhouse and have completed it , so I started searching for a 4 tap tower, without paying a couple hundred dollars and looking for something "British " like , I deceided to build an Irish Coffin Box. I was also somewhat inspired by the recent BYO edition "Charlotte" area homebrew bar. I had some left over 2 1/2" steel tubing so I recycled that and sanded and polished the tubing and will coat with a lacquer to keep it pretty and not rust.

Here is the start :

S5001203.jpg

S5001202.jpg

S5001208.jpg

S5001206.jpg

very nice... what are you going to use to insulate the box? i have a project under way as well; trying to decide between foam spray and custom cut foam around the interior walls.

Thank you for all the nice comments:), just to update, SWMBO agreed that the plain steel just didn't cut it, so I tried painting the risers black ( it's looks a little better ) . I will use some high density foam to insulate this box and since it's not too far from the keg, just a small fan to circulate some cold air .

I did the same thing althought a pretty different design...

Tap Box 2 - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

Tap Box 1 - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

I used "duct wrap" insulation on the inside. It's basically that silver foil lined bubble wrap... I used a couple layers of that around the inside because it was very easy to work with compared to the high density foam and it works really well. I also used weather-sealer tape around the top of the lid and the base where it's mounted on the bar to make sure it's completely air tight.

I have two pvc pipes that come up to it from under the bar, one 3" that carries all of the lines and a 2" that is simply an air return back to the walk-in cooler. The pipes run behind a wall and then about 25 feet to the walk-in. I had a tiny fan set up to circulate the air from the cooler, to the coffin box and then back to the cooler to chil the lines but to be honest, I shut it off... I ended up not needing the fan. Given mine is in the basement, the lines somehow always stay cold enough on their own, even in erally hot summer weather.

I had to drill up through the bottom of the bar to anchor that sucker on there really tight.

Sorry for the quick repost...

If you're going to leave the two metal towers exposed like that you might want to try to insulate them as much as possible. I'm just nervous about them being pretty cold compared to the ambient temperature in what ever room you're going to have the tap box in and them getting all sorts of condensation on them. You might end up with little puddles in humid weather.

If you look inside a tap box like your building in a bar, those metal "towers" are really well insulated as to not have the condensation problem.

Sorry for the quick repost...

If you're going to leave the two metal towers exposed like that you might want to try to insulate them as much as possible. I'm just nervous about them being pretty cold compared to the ambient temperature in what ever room you're going to have the tap box in and them getting all sorts of condensation on them. You might end up with little puddles in humid weather.

If you look inside a tap box like your building in a bar, those metal "towers" are really well insulated as to not have the condensation problem.

Yours is beautiful !,,
I searched CB's but didn't find anything here, I also love the 3D relief in The Cape . Well done !

I only have about 3 feet to the kegerator for this run ,and I will insulate the raisers, I was thinking a small motherboard type fan ( 1.5" ) just to keep some circulation going .

I will post some updates shortly on mine, including the bar it will sit on and the brewhouse it goes in ( I have been a busy little boy in the last 5 months), just ask HER :eek:

BTW thanks for your post and advice !:ban:

Thank you for the compliment!

I don't think the little fan will hurt by any stretch but you may find that you don't even need it. Like I was saying though about the weather-stripping, make sure you seal that sucker up really tight if you are going to put a fan to it because until I sealed mine up really tight, you could hear the air leaking out of it.

Beautiful design though! Looking forward to the finished pics.

yeah, I finished my bar and "play room" about two years ago. It took me the better part of a year (pics in my gallery). Working on my damn AG rig now. Someday it'll all be done... someday.

ehhhh... who am I kidding?? I'll be doing crazy stuff like this forever.

not finished yet, and I need to shorten the raisers by 1.75 inches, but here it is sitting on the bar:

The glass of beer is for perspective only , no intention of drinking that ....

S5001209.jpg

S5001214.jpg

Here's the bar area:

Small area, but this is a shed

S5001217.jpg

Here's the brewing area:

It's a mess right now

S5001216.jpg

Wow, what an awesome set-up!

That's going to be my next project (do NOT tell my wife!)

I have the basement bar all done... contrary to the fact that I've been talking about getting it done for about a year now, my AG rig is just about done. Now I need to tell my wife "you know... if we had a small shed in the backyard, I could use it at a brewhaus and get all of my stuff out of the garage and then you could put your truck in the garage!!"

See?? Always thinking of her and her needs. It's a foolproof plan!

Great set up though! Any plans of putting a tiny bathroom in there anywhere?

Latest posts

Back