Wort on top of star san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixstring396

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a quick question. I just brewed my first batch and used star san to sanitize everything. Well, when I added my wort to the fermenter, the star san was still wet inside. There was no liquid inside, but the star san had not dried. Is this going to affect my beer? Thanks.

not a bit, it is actually good for the yeast. a quick search for "don't fear the foam" will result many detailed discussions on the subject.

Yeah, the Star San is neutralized at a certain pH and it becomes food for the yeasties. You can actually drink the stuff diluted and it won't harm you (or at least that's what the inventor claims).

Yeah, the Star San is neutralized at a certain pH and it becomes food for the yeasties. You can actually drink the stuff diluted and it won't harm you (or at least that's what the inventor claims).

taken a shot of it out of a squirt bottle...tastes like sweet and sour mix

In my infinite wisdom, I managed to dump a whole airlock full of it in the brew and never noticed anything bad come of it. I know it's hard to "don't fear the foam" in the beginning, I'm personally at the "I know I'm not supposed to fear the foam but did they mean this much foam?" stage...;)

from another thread..

636-ohthefoam.jpg

bEN bE BA been ther Duh da da dun TTTTTT THatt. Da da da didn't huh huh hurt ma ma maeeee ttttt tah that Much!

It actually needs to be wet in order to ensure it is still sanitized, it is what is called a "wet sanitizer."

Back