Anyone notice a difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Dogma

Reaction score
This is probably an old question but... In general, is there a noticable difference in the flavor and quality of dry malt extract vs. extract syrup?

This is probably an old question but... In general, is there a noticable difference in the flavor and quality of dry malt extract vs. extract syrup?

Search "extract twang" or liquid vs dry, or LME vs. DME and you'll find this has been discussed quite often.

But yeah...I prefer dry to liquid, even with a late extract addition.

Thanks for the help guys.

I think I'll stick with DME opposed to LME.

Now I need to read up on when the best time to add it to the boil is :mug:

Thanks for the help guys.

I think I'll stick with DME opposed to LME.

I prefer DME....

I add a few pounds in at the beginning for the hops...then usually add the rest in the last 20 minutes.... But I've found it's less crucial with dry...I've also added it all in at the beginning and everythings been fine...never noticed any twang with dry.

I also use extralight DME for all my extract batches.

IMO, the best way to go is to add around 15-20% of your DME at the beginning of the boil for good hop extraction, then add the remainder with around 10-15 minutes remaining to reduce caramelization.

Back