Help-possible bottle infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Ok,

Here is the deal. I bottled my Kolsch on the 9th. It had been in a lagered secondary for three weeks. It was crystal clear at the time of bottling. I stored it in the warmest room of the house...~70ish daytime....65ish night. It clouded up during the carbonation phase. Then started to clear a little.:D

Here is the wierd part. Went away for the weekend and returned last night. CHecked on the Kolsch, and it was by far, the clearest beer I ever made. Lots of settlement, but pure clear beer......except the top. Right at the surface, there is a cloudy/milky looking layer. Its about 2mm thick, and milky looking. Its the same in all the bottles. I freaked, but the wife said to throw one in the fridge and try it. I did, and it smelled and tasted normal.
:confused:

Now, is this the sign of a starting infection, or the end effects of the carbonation....i.e. not fully carbed yet? Help, because I am freaking out that I may have to dump two cases.

-Todd

Cautiously open a bottle, and sip some ot the top layer with a straw? Or sample with a turkey baster? If the 'milky' part just tastes yeasty, no problem, it's floating yeast. If you start to see the music, or smell the colors, maybe you have a saleable product....

Check to see if there is a ring in the inside of the neck. I had a witbier that became infected at bottling. It developed incredible carbonation, but surprisingly, no exploding bottles. I opened one and it went off like champagne! Foamed like crazy, had to set it in the sink and wait forever to try to drink it. The foam was full of great big bubbles. It tasted sour (like a lambic) and gave me an upset stomach.

Also, my understanding is that a yeast colony looks very different from a bacterial infection.

Latest posts

Back