Infection :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobanon

Reaction score
So I just bottled a Mad Hatter IPA clone and was about to start capping when I noticed this in my star san solution. Im pretty confident that my beers are now wrecked, possibly poisonous, and too risky to consume. First ever infection risk/encounter and way glad i caught it before I made bombs....ill probably pour them all down the sink now for safety's sake. Guess I ought to pay more attention to my bottle cleaning. :(

image-3646062719.jpg

I just figure mold that size and color would be kind of detrimental to consume. I don't know much about infection, but am I incorrect in thinking this is a bad sign?

It definitely came from the bottom of one of my bottles. I've had them sitting for probably a couple of months since their initial cleaning and apparently it wasn't sufficiently clean...I'm just wondering if the combination of star San, hops, yeast, etc will keep me covered or not...

I would think at worst if there is still mold in that one bottle it may become a bomb because of nucleation points but otherwise I wouldn't really worry about it. But obviously lesson learned hopefully you gotta be way more careful about your bottles!!

I've had smeg like that float out of bottles. I think, as long as it's outside your bottles and not in, you're probably fine. I'd give each pour a sniff and the hairy eyeball before I drank it, but I wouldn't flush it until I was sure it's wrecked.

As it turns out, I didn't make bombs. That's about as good as the news gets. Most of the bottles we've opened have been over carbonated. One poured fine last night but left my roommate with stomach pain, and my girlfriend opened one today that was actually UNcarbed and had a sour taste (she didn't know to inspect before sipping). Long story short, it's going down the drain tomorrow.

It's only been two weeks. I wouldn't dump it unless it was OBVIOUSLY rancid. Your roommate's stomach pain could have been from anything and one uncarbed sour beer hardly warrants a complete dump. Just put it all somewhere out of the way and forget about it. Try one in a month or so.... There is nothing in that beer that is going to kill you.

I once brewed a beer which after it dropped developed a white mould inside the carboy which was only filled to the shoulders. It was difficult to get into the neck of the carboy but I took a sponge on a stick dipped in steriliser and cleaned as much of it up as I could. Mould kept coming back, didn't want to pour it out or disturb it intentionally mixing it into the beer. Cleaned it a few more times. Beer was fine in the end?

Alright thanks guys I guess ill give it a few more weeks and see what happens. I'm just nervous/anxious to fix it as this is my first ever experience with any problems post-fermentation so I just don't know what to expect.

Back