WTF 13/16 hole saw..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a step drill bit. Costs more but I can use it again for other projects that I have to do. You can find them at HD or Lowes and also at Harbor Freight.

I got a 7/8 step drill at HD for $34. It's made by Irwin. it went through my big SS brewkettle like butter. Just use a LOT of pressure on the drill, and let it turn VERY slowly, and keep it oiled (3-in-1 works great) and it just marches right through. :mug:

aekdbbop said:
yeah looked at those yesterday.. freakin 45 dollars for a bit..

I know what you're saying! But if you happen to do projects around your house it will come in handy again. Besides... it's part of the man tool collection.

aekdbbop said:
yeah, but as money is tight.. im pretty sure the wife will say "you spend 40 bucks on what???"

That's when you slap her on the ass and say "Man things, baby...Man things."

aekdbbop said:
yeah, but as money is tight.. im pretty sure the wife will say "you spend 40 bucks on what???"

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their wifes will allow."

Enough said....;)

I do feel your pain though.

I did all of my AL kettles with a 7/8 holesaw bit from homedepot. I've also used it on the steel fridge, for my taps. I think it was 7 or 8 bucks but it's held up nicely.

Hey guys, I can tell you that I have to drill holes in metal at work all the time. I have yet to buy a Unibit. I don't plan on it. Holesaws work just fine, and will last a good long time if you use them correctly. Granted, they won't last as long as a Unibit, but as far as I'm concerned, Unibits just aren't worth it. If you, as a homeowner, want to spend upwards of 50 bucks on a unibit, well, that's up to you, but I'd think twice about yelling at SWMBO next time she goes out and buys a 50 gallon drum of molasses or something like that.

Bernie Brewer said:
...but I'd think twice about yelling at SWMBO next time she goes out and buys a 50 gallon drum of molasses or something like that.

Does this happen often?? That is one of the more random things I have heard people complaining about their SWMBO about. A got a laugh out of it at least.

/OT

Jester4176 said:
That's when you slap her on the ass and say "Man things, baby...Man things."

Now there you go. She doesn't need to know how we work our magic, she just needs to see the results.

"Yes, I'll build that cupboard for you, but I need <insert cryptic tool name here> to do it." She gets the cupboard, you get some new tools. If she can't identify it, she can't accuse you of padding the budget.

TheFlyingBeer said:
Does this happen often?? That is one of the more random things I have heard people complaining about their SWMBO about. A got a laugh out of it at least.

/OT

I wondered the same thing.....if my SWMBO went out and bought that much molasses, I'd probably have to go ahead and sprinkle some yeast in there ;) I've never been that fortunate....she always spends money on clothes/ candles. What the hell good are clothes, anyway? :D

aekdbbop said:
i heard 7/8 is too big.. you guys have any leaks?

Yup, a drip a minute, so I use it for my hot water tank instead and got a new pot with a welded spigot fitting. DEFINITELY go 13/16's. Ace hardware carries that size/diameter.

Back