Long Range Shooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz

Reaction score
Hows it going everyone, this morning I went out to do a little long range shooting. Today was the first time in 2 weeks to have calm winds, so I've been waiting quite a while now to get out there. So I set a 1 gallon water jug 1200 yards away. I Took about 6 shots in total with the 338 lapua before I saw the jug fall over, the first two were sighters. To my surprise I hit the darn thing twice! Didn't really think I would hit it.

1200 Yard Shot!

Congrats, It is always fun to stretch it beyond 1000 yds. Of course you can probably tell I like to do that by my username.

Here's a question from someone who's gone shooting a whole once (it was awesome though):

If your target is 1200 yards away, do you drive over to set it up and get back, or do you walk it?

Psych said:
Here's a question from someone who's gone shooting a whole once (it was awesome though):

If your target is 1200 yards away, do you drive over to set it up and get back, or do you walk it?

Thats why you have a kid or gullible friend haha

Well I usually take my dogs on a long walk so i actually just walked the gallon out there, its like a 15 minute walk from where I was shooting. If I wasn't walking the dogs or was hanging a steel target up to shoot at, I'm taking the 4x4. so yeah it's a drive

I'll check that out! right now my buddy is helping me find a cheap HD camera to use as a target cam. My regular camera is running out of balls.

They are HD full 1080P video, but I think you can get stills off it as well. Its what they use for all the different action sports. They also have a bunch of different methods to attach them.

I second a gopro use one for fishing videos and the amount of stuff you can do with it is amazing

Impressive shooting. I have just started to get into longer range shooting but with cowboy/civil war era stuff. Long range for that is 200 to 400 yards depending on the group. Let me tell you 400 yards with iron sights and those large caliber lead bullets is tough. I can't imagine trying to reach out 1200 yards.

I used to work in the firearms industry and got the chance to shoot some .50 and .416 Barrett offerings on occasion. Even with high quality optics it was tough to get on target with unfamiliar weapons and loads out there at 500+ yards. At $5.00 a shot it was also tough to spend many shots to get acquainted with things well enough to sight in.

Man I wish I had a longer range. I think the longest in AR is 1000m. Now the longest public accessible range is 850y. I built a 308 to ring the 20"x10" silhouettes from 200-850 they have some 8" ones at 500 and under and its super fun to try and hit them while their swinging from the last shot. Someone hung a cast iron skillet at 850 and I was able to plink that with ease. My range is always supper windy from all directions so I have learned a lot calling wind.

Back