• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Motorized Barley Crusher Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkenmonk

Reaction score
Motorized Barley Crusher grain mill for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221146337426

Motorized barley grain mill kit for homebrewers using all grain mashes. Kit includes:

• Barley Crusher malt mill with 15 lb hopper
  • GE gear motor (177.7 RPM, 40 in-lb torque, 115 VAC power), wiring, and mounting brackets
  • Gear motor capacitor and wiring
  • Lovejoy coupler which connects mill and motor
  • Wooden spacer which goes below mill and lines up mill shaft to motor shaft
  • Power and control box with toggle switch for forward and reverse grinding

This is sold as a kit, is prewired, and ready to go. I had it mounted to a shelf (as shown in one photo), but shelf is not included. Kit could be mounted to a shelf, table, or simply a board which you rest on your grain bucket.

Mill works great and is super convenient to use. Spacing on rollers are adjustable so you can control how fine the grind is. Motorized system is a must if you're grinding a lot of grain. Hand cranking is tiring. If you use a drill, RPMs are usually too fast which shatters barley husk (leading to stuck sparges) and you have to stand there holding drill until milling is down. With this motor set-up, speed is about right (100-200 RPM is ideal), you just turn it on, let it run, and go do something as you prepare your brew.

I put it on eBay without a buy-it-now option (which you can't add after auction has started), but I'd like to get $200.

drunkenmonk said:
I put it on eBay without a buy-it-now option (which you can't add after auction has started), but I'd like to get $200.

Just curious, can you cancel a listing on ebay if we came to an agreement?

My set-up almost exactly matches the one on Sam's Wortomatic site. The coupler is a Lovejoy coupler from McMaster-Carr. There's various overall sizes available and then you can size each end for the shaft diameter of the mill and motor. The motor came from surpluscenter.com. However, I understand they're out of this particular motor. It's a GE motor made to a Xerox spec. I'm guessing it came out of an old copy machine. I'd look on surpluscenter.com or ebay for something similar. Otherwise, you'll spend a few bucks more for a new gear motor.

Back